Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed and Ping Issues - Help Needed

MarcusA
Dabbler

Speed and Ping Issues - Help Needed

Hi,
Just wondering if i can get a bit of advice from a forumer, as i dont seem to be getting any help whatsoever from Plusnet. (Ticket raised and several phone calls made)
I recently downgraded my package from the highest fibre package, as my speeds were consistently at 39-40Meg. I thought, why am i paying for the extra bandwidth i cant get?
Im not sure if its a coincidence, but ever since i was downgraded to the 38Meg package, my connection performance has been terrible during Peak times.
Last night i was getting 1.97Meg Down and about 6Meg Up, and my ping had jumped up to 90MS. My connection Off Peak is rock solid, getting about 38 Down and 9 Up, with pings between 19-23MS. I've performed PPPoE speedtests via BTWholesale, and they've been poor too, during peak times.
Just wanted a bit of advice. I can provide more info if necessary. I dont know if anyone is aware of any issues at the Heaton Moor exchange in Stockport? To me, this seems like a congestion issue, as ive had no disconnections and performance only dips during peak times. My internal network has not changed at all. Only changes have been the changes to my package.
Any help would be much appreciated.
9 REPLIES 9
sjptd
Grafter

Re: Speed and Ping Issues - Help Needed

I can't help much I am afraid.  I'm on 40Mbps as well and get consistently good speeds/pings even at peak times.  I am pretty sure it isn't to do with downgrading your package that is giving you problems.  Sounds as if there are congestion or similar problems at quite a few exchanges and that is probably your issue.  Good luck with sorting.
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

I would agree that this issue is very unlikely to be related to your package downgrade. There are a lot of people on the forums seeing peak time slowdowns. I think this is a bigger issue that Plusnet will have to deal with.
I would imagine a large percentage of customers never go near a speed test, so as long as their services work (browsing, streaming etc), they are happy with that. I think Plusnet rely on this fact.
The crux of the argument is centered around what is acceptable...
1 - Is it OK to have peak time slowdowns if it doesn't affect the majority of user's experience?
versus
2 - Why should customers have a substantially slower than advertised service at peak times, irrespective of whether they need it.
I believe in option 2.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

There's mention of major (capacity?) issues in Manchester also affecting much of the surrounding area (sorry, can't find a link right now), and other ISPs such as AAISP as well as Plusnet.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
MarcusA
Dabbler

Thanks very much for the reply, guys.

Just seems strange that my connection has been rock solid for nearly 2 years, and now i downgrade and have my profile changed (?) and the connection is now absolutely rubbish during peak times.
Not sure what has been switched or changed at the exchange. Have i been moved onto a congested port? Like you said, maybe it is just coincidence and there happens to have been issues recently, shortly after my downgrade.
Would be nice to hear what Plusnet have to say. 1.9MB Down and ping spikes of 900+MS last night. Absolute joke.
I like to game in the little spare time i have, and with those sort of pings, its impossible.
MarcusA
Dabbler

Plusnet,
Would it be possible to move me back to FTTC Range A at Cabinet 41 (Heaton Moor) please.
Cheers
AndyT
Grafter

Hi Marcus,
Sorry to read of your recent problems.  We don't make any physical changes to your connection when we change your package so I think it is most likely to be coincidental.  I can see that you have updated the fault ticket with further information, so the faults team will be back in touch shortly with an update.
MarcusA
Dabbler

Cheers, Andy.
I've been doing a bit of reading on the forums, and it does look like coincidence. Kind of relieved, as hopefully a widespread issue will be easier to pin down and resolve!
Are you guys looking into the issues affecting Manchester?
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

The issues in Manchester are under investigation and we'll update everyone as soon as we know more.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
MarcusA
Dabbler

Thanks, Matt.