Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed & BT Openreach Tester

jbarker
Dabbler

Speed & BT Openreach Tester

Hello,
I have had fttc enabled today and whilst the engineer was here I had 76/18 but by this afternoon I have dropped to 18meg down/13 up. I have a loop fault on my line which the engineer found and raised a repair for and I spoke to someone in CS today who confirmed this but I wanted to see my line profile to see if it's DLM that's dropping it down but I am not able to complete a BT Openreach test, When I choose "Further Diagnostics" I get:
Your speed test has completed and the results are shown above, however during the test an error occurred while trying to retrieve additional details regarding your service. As a result we are unable to determine if the speed you received during the test is acceptable for your service. Please re-run the test if you require this additional information.
Just wondered if this was just affecting me or if this is due to something Openreach might be doing on my line?
12 REPLIES 12
AndyH
Grafter

Re: Speed & BT Openreach Tester

It can take up to a couple of weeks for your connection details to appear on the BT Wholesale Speed Tester.
DLM will not intervene in the first 48 hours for a new connection.
What's your current line speed here https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed ?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

DLM will intervene in the first 48 hours if it is needed to keep the connection going
jbarker
Dabbler

Hello,
My connection has been up for 7 hours so I don't think its dropped since it was installed but its just got slower.
Phone exchange:
GREENHITHE
Estimated line speed:
80Mb (Download speed could vary depending on line conditions. Estimates are the maximum speeds that your phone line can support. These speeds are dependent on the package you choose.) - Checked on 2015-01-19 10:02:59
Current line speed:
80 Mb
AndyH
Grafter

Quote from: Oldjim
DLM will intervene in the first 48 hours if it is needed to keep the connection going

For the first two full days, new lines are placed on an 'open' profile. DLM will ignore any thresholds and will not re-profile a line. After this 2 day period, the thresholds on the line (which are determined by the DLM policy) will be applied and DLM will act accordingly.
If there are line issues, these should be picked up when doing the install (as was in the OP's case).
@ jbarker - Are you running the test wired/wirelessly? Can you try this test http://www.speedtest.net/ ?
jbarker
Dabbler

I am doing it wired, Only device on the network.
Results are the same as the BT one:
http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4091072297
The engineer did not think the loop fault would affect the VDSL, His tester reported 80/20 and that is almost what I got this morning after he left, it was working fine until the early afternoon but I guess if there is no DLM initially then perhaps the fault is indeed the issue
AndyH
Grafter

Something's not right  Huh
Can you try disconnecting/reconnecting from your router admin page to see if this makes a difference?
jbarker
Dabbler

Yeah that made a huge difference, 71/16 which still isn't as fast as I was expecting but alot better then it was before, I wonder what's caused that gradual slow down throughout the day.
http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4091096927
AndyH
Grafter

I have no explanation for this Smiley
The line is in a rate adaptive open mode, so it will try to go as fast as it can. If after a couple of days you start seeing a noticeable speed drop/latency increase, then that potential fault will need to be looked at.
Edit: Try this speed tester http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html You'll find a bit of variable performance amongst the speed testers.
sjptd
Grafter

Have a quick check on your wiring for star wiring ... that is where there is an extension taken from a junction box before the incoming telephone wire reaches the master socket.
Extension may be a telephone extension, or an old Sky box or hardwired alarm system.  Star wiring can have a pretty bad effect on VDSL/FTTC even if the extension is not in use.
jbarker
Dabbler

Yeah I thought this, we have an alarm connected like this but the Openreach engineer said the way its been wired it means it will be isolated from the VDSL signal in the new faceplate.
I guess as the speed has gone back up I will just keep an eye on it and see what happens.
dick:quote
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

sjptd, you made an interesting point about star wiring where you mention that  even if the extension is not used it can have an effect on the VDSL signal.
You also mention this issue is where the extension is connected on the line BEFORE the master socket.
I assume this would not be an issue if the extension is a standard VDSL extension kroned into the VDSL extension connection on the master socket? I would assume not because that would be a standard VDSL extension, but it makes me wonder why a star connected extension (unused) BEFORE the master socket is any different from a VDSL extension before the filter IN the master socket?
The reason I ask is because my VDSL extension has a filter in it (unused but connected - the Kelly installer fitted a MK3 box at the VDSL extension end), and I am wondering if that is an issue. So when you mentioned about unused connections before the master socket filter having potential problems, it made me think of my own installation.
Food for thought!
Thanks.
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

@  jbarker - Please post on this link: http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,135963.0.html to report this to Plusnet as Further Diagnostics never work on mine and you probably going to end up like me too.