cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed Variations

redhedgehog42
Grafter

Speed Variations

My FTTC was installed in early December 2014 and I was one of the first users connected to FTTC on my cabinet (within a couple of weeks of it going live).  Until about a week ago the line speed was rock solid at about 72 mbps download and 17 mbps upload, with very minimal (less than 1 mbps plus or minus) variations between tests irrespective of the time of day.  I am about 150 yards from the cabinet.
However in the last 10 days the speed has started to show wider variations with download dropping by 4-5 mbps at some times of the day ( 8.30 - 10 am and 4.30 - 6.30 pm ), upload meanwhile remains virtually constant at 17 mbps.
By the way I have run the speed tests on various testers, including the BTw one, and the results are consistant. I use Open DNS, which is set on my iMac computer as I didn't wish to alter anything on the router. I have an Openreach Modem and Plusnet Router. When I changed to using to Open DNS it had no effect on the line speed.
Now I realise that a speed of 68 mbps is really very good but I would like confirmation that this speed drop, which seems to coincide with the times businesses start for the day and when individuals and school children get home, is within what is to be expected as the cabinet I am connected to gets more populated by FTTC users and is not an early symptom of some developing problem.
5 REPLIES 5
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

Re: Speed Variations

Thanks for raising this. To be honest, this sounds like a contention issue, as your synch speeds a pretty decent. I haven't been able to find which VP you are connected to though, so I've been unable to provide confirmation of this. In this instance, I'd recommend that you raise a fault report so that we can have my suspicions confirmed.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
redhedgehog42
Grafter

To plusnettony,
Not quite sure how to raise a fault, on-line chat is busy, tried to go through the system up to and including running the BTw speed test but it just seems to take me round and round in circles - once I've done the speed test and gone back to your site and clicked continue it asks me for any more useful details that might help - I enter those, click submit and it goes back go to the previous page - am I doing something wrong or is there another way to get this logged?
redhedgehog42
Grafter

again to plusnettony,
I seem to have got the fault logged successfully, not quite sure how but it is now in the system.
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Just double checked for you.
It has been raised and it will be picked up by our faults team soon.
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
redhedgehog42
Grafter

Update:
I have had a response from the appropriate team and it seems that my original thoughts are correct and the variation I am seeing is to do with the number of users on-line at any one time. No connection failures reported since the last time the session was started on 16 January and the profile is as it always was at 77433/20000  with an average transfer rate of just under 70mbps down and just over 16mbps up. So that seems to resolve the question satisfactorily. I'll keep monitoring from time to time to make sure no long term deterioration takes place.
Thanks to all who helped - much appreciated