Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed Variation

Mikewoodward
Dabbler

Speed Variation

Hi

my bb speed has dropped from 69mb to on average of 25 when tested on Ookla. This is the app that Openreach engineers use. However, when I use the BT wholesale test site, I get 121mb. This is on a line that apparently has a top speed of 75mb. Has anyone else had discrepancies like this? 

3 REPLIES 3
EdWeasley
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

Re: Speed Variation

Hi @Mikewoodward,

Thank you for taking your time to get in touch.

I am very sorry that you are having a problem with our service. Together with our network partners at Openreach we are prioritising customers who don’t have a phone line or broadband connection, meaning there might be a delay in Speed Faults being fixed. In the meantime, please raise your speed fault online at faults.plus.net.

Kind regards,

Josh

Josh Berriman
 Plusnet Help Team
Mikewoodward
Dabbler

Thanks for your reply. I decided that I would leave it for a while, considering the current situation. Thankfully, this was all I needed to do. It does seem to have settled down & is now back to its normal level. The thing that puzzled me though, was that after having tried about 4 different speed checkers, all of which gave me similar readings, the BT wholesale on was vastly different. Today I am getting 66mbs whilst on the BT site I am getting 268mbs. Any ideas anyone? 

RealAleMadrid
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 41

@Mikewoodward Yes, the BT test is totally wrong, it is an impossible result considering the absolute maximum FTTC download speed is around 76Mbps. BT have changed the test recently and probably messed it up. On my connection it just keeps on running and never gives a speed result so I reckon it is broken.😕