cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed Problems ?

gokiwi
Hooked

Speed Problems ?

So I am on the "Unlimited fibre Extra" package which is supposed to provide 66Mb (average) download for which I am paying £50 a month for yet I get on average half this. BT broadband Performance Test shows 32Mb (Although I distrust this as 4 times over 2 hours it said 32Mb , twice it said 80 and once 16 yet the router did not show any change)

Cannot "chat" to anybody as the chat service is unavailable as all agents are just constantly busy.

What other tests can be performed to get an historical look at the download speeds ?, as in am I on the wrong package or paying too much etc.  

1 REPLY 1
JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 77

Re: Speed Problems ?

@gokiwi,

Th fibre extra product has maximum 80Mbps down and 20Mbps up speeds, but following new ASA guidelines only average speeds are able to be displayed, but these are still guidelines as your actual speed is determined once you line is active.

When you go through the sign up process it then advises you your individual line estimate. This was provided to you before completing signup, emailed after the account was created and following an account change.

A copy of your estimates for fibre services are below:

You can check your line estimates yourself here.

Currently your router is showing a sync of 41.6 down and 12.5 up which is within the limits of your line estimates. 

Based on your speed estimates and the speed you're actually achieving I'd suggest being on Fibre extra is not worth it for your line. I'd speak to the customer options team to change to standard 40/10 fibre, and get a better deal you can call them on 0800 013 2632. Their current opening times are:

08:00 - 20:00 Monday to Friday
09:00 - 19:00 Saturday
09:00 - 18:00 Sundays