cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed Problems Downstream is 27.75 for a 36mb connection, past the 10 day period

cszombie
Dabbler

Speed Problems Downstream is 27.75 for a 36mb connection, past the 10 day period

I have had an engineer out twice, once to fix a local exchange problem with a broken set of wires, and engineer called and replaced the master socket face-plate and wiring outside, but now since passing the 10 days for the speed to settle it's been going down and not up, checking my hub manager reveals Downstream to be 27.75mb but i'm paying for a 36mb connection, could someone look at this please and get back to me. Engineer also tested the line whilst at my property and said the line was good for 38mb, so why has it been set to 27.75?

Estimated line speed:40Mb (This may vary between 30.8Mb and 40Mb) - Checked on 2017-03-23 13:34:57Current line speed:32.6 Mb

Thanks

17 REPLIES 17
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Speed Problems Downstream is 27.75 for a 36mb connection, past the 10 day period

Hi there,

I've just run a full set of diagnostic tests which aren't indicating any obvious problems.

Definitely get a fault reported with us as the next step and feel free to drop us a reply back here when you have and we'll make sure that gets picked up: http://faults.plus.net

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
cszombie
Dabbler

Re: Speed Problems Downstream is 27.75 for a 36mb connection, past the 10 day period

Hi, It's not exactly what i meant, i mean after the engineer left my speed was at 36mb, now it says its at 27.75mb i'm reading this from the dsl line status on the router page, so the speed on my line has been lowered by someone knocking off nearly 10mb, i know speed adjust in 10 days but why has it been set so much lower, i need it setting at 36mb as it was before

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

We still need to deal with that via the faults process as no limitations to your speeds are in place on our side of the network.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
cszombie
Dabbler

Hi,

I have opened a fault, i also talked to customer support on livechat who told me some settings needed changing and i had to power off the router, wait 30 seconds and power back on.

Initially after it said.

Estimated line speed:40Mb (This may vary between 30.8Mb and 40Mb) - Checked on 2017-03-23 13:34:57Current line speed:37Mb

Now it says..

Estimated line speed:40Mb (This may vary between 30.8Mb and 40Mb) - Checked on 2017-03-23 13:34:57Current line speed:28.8 Mb

I also got an email which says the following....

"

When you signed up for Plusnet Broadband, we gave you an estimated line speed. Now that your broadband has been active for 14 days, we thought we'd let you know the speed as it stands today, by way of comparison.

Estimated line speed: 30.8Mbps to 40Mbps
Current line speed: 28.8Mbps

Estimated line speed: This is an estimation of the range of speeds you're likely to see based on the line check made when you signed up or upgraded your broadband service. This shows the maximum speeds your line is capable of; although you may have chosen to buy a product which runs at slower speeds.

Current line speed: This is a measure of the actual line speed you are now receiving based on the product you have taken.

Line speed is dependent on:

• The product you have chosen. For example if you have chosen 'up to 38Mbps' fibre then this is the maximum you would get even if your line was capable of higher speeds. (Upgrade here)

• How near you live to the exchange

• The length and quality of the telephone line to your home. This can be affected by poor weather as well

Other factors which can affect your speed:

• The time of day. In other words how busy our network and the Internet are (7-10pm being the busiest time, when speeds can reduce significantly)

• The length and quality of any phone wiring extensions in your home

• Whether you're sharing your connection with other people or devices in your home

Can someone give me any idea as to why my speeds are not as expected as i have now had 2 different answers and neither of them have helped.

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Was 30.8 - 40 the estimate when you first signed up?

To me, it looks like you're only slightly below the low end of the estimate anyway. The estimate is in terms of "sync speed", the line rate shown by the Hub, but the Current Line Speed is (usually) automatically set to about 96.7% of the sync speed, so the two values are not directly comparable.

I guess the person on livechat just pointlessly did whatever you wanted to keep you happy, so they just set the Plusnet Current Line Speed to 37, and then gave you the useless advice to reboot your router, which would eventually cause the Current Line Speed to be automatically set back to the appropriate value of 96.7% of your line rate.

cszombie
Dabbler

I think peopke are selectively reading what i'm trying to say here, i ran a speed test after the engineer installed new wire outside and a new master socket faceplate, speed was 34mbps downstream, upstrwam was 1.89mbps. Fast forward to today, i'm getting 27mbps downstream, upstream is the same, of course i want the speed to what it should be, not lowering, engineer himself said line can do 38mbps and he saw the speedtest return a 34mbps downstream result, what's hard to follow here? I want the speed i was getting, not something that's been knocked down by 7/8mbps with no explanation besides "estimated speeds", i WAS getting 34mbps, so why arent i now?

pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

DLM (Dynamic Line Management) has probably reduced it due to errors occurring on your line.  It does this to keep the line stable.  Your speed is below the lower range of the estimate though, which is why you're being told to raise it as a fault.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

cszombie
Dabbler

Thank you, yes, i have raised it as a fault, and it's good to get some feedback, i'm not complaining for nothing and want to be told what i want to hear as has been suggested by another poster.

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Engineers say a lot of things, some of what they say is good, some of what they say is rubbish.

I wasn't saying that you only want to be told what you want to hear, I was saying that what the person on livechat said and did was completely pointless, which should be clearly evident since it achieved nothing.

Another factor could be that the Lantiq DSL chipset in the Hub One isn't quite as good as the probably Broadcom chipset in the engineer's tester.

To look at the issue another way, what actual difference would having 32Mb make compared with having 27Mb (besides speedtest results)?

cszombie
Dabbler

It's about getting what you're paying for and my speeds as i've now said about 3 times were 32/34mb after the engineer left, only to go down down, why should i settle for a service that's under the estimate, and pretend it doesn't matter, it may seem like being picky to you but when something isn't right of course i want to know why, if you new car starts getting worse mileage for the same amount of petrol you're putting in it you would want to know why right and do something about it, after all, you're paying for that petrol and not getting the best out of it you should be.

cszombie
Dabbler

If you're happy to always settle for something below what you expect that's fair enough.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@cszombie - I have an ongoing issue with one of my two Fibre lines. One is near perfect but the other, like yours, suffers from a progressive degradation in service. As I type this I have the engineer here out doing what he described as a ‘Wide Band Interference’ test.

What result it will give I don’t know, but I do know that if that returns OK then the only other option he has is yet another lift and shift.

cszombie
Dabbler

Thanks for your input mook, you and pjmarsh have given some good comparisons and facts based on your own experiences, not really impressed with the other post with a thinly veiled "why don't you just put up with it", not really helpful., and yes, for you to raise the fault you're like me and concerned where this degradation in service is coming from when you're expecting based on initial experience of what speeds you SHOULD be getting, customer support yes would have it easier if we all just said "oh well, it's only 9 or 10mb short of what i should get, i wont bother", wouldn't help to improve services and reliability if no-one ever complained though.

cszombie
Dabbler

I've also had customer support on the phone yesterday, engineer is coming Mon morning, several speed tests yesterday at 8.20pm brought back 15-18mbs downstream, that's half speed, but hey it's just a speed test, i should be happy with that? lol