Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed Nudge Please.

dai
Grafter

Speed Nudge Please.

Hi,
    Just as the title states, my speed at the moment via the BTW Performance Test is 19.4 Mbps down, whereas it states my IP Profile of being 23.19 Mbps. Can someone give me a nudge on my speed please?  Also can someone tell me if my line also has G.INP enabled on it? Speed and latency have been pretty strange lately?  Thanks for the help.
62 REPLIES 62
fp
Grafter

Re: Speed Nudge Please.

Ditto: I would like my 10MB/s of decrease in speed back too please.  Dropped from 77Mbps to 69.4, during the recent 'massive congestion weekend' after a year of good 77/20 speed.  Download speed  down, upload down (a lot) and ping time up.  Now get 7.7MB/s down compared to 8.7MB/s I used to get, right up until the point it changed.
I notice, at least on this forum, several people complaining about exactly the same thing: speed cap drop by about 10%, upload down and ping up – plus increased variability in ping and upload speed.  Is there a common cause?
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Sorry to hear about your issues
@dai I can confirm your line does currently have G.INP enabled and that your profiles are set correctly. With the the speeds only just being below the profile are you sure there was nothing running in the background?
@fp The issues with regards to varying ping are mostly in relation to G.INP however this isn't on your line at the moment. Your on a open profile "0.128M-80M Downstream, Error Protection Off - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Error Protection Off" so there's no restrictions applied to your speed. It could be that the speed has dropped due to crosstalk
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
mlmclaren
Grafter

Quote from: fp
Ditto: I would like my 10MB/s of decrease in speed back too please.  Dropped from 77Mbps to 69.4, during the recent 'massive congestion weekend' after a year of good 77/20 speed.  Download speed  down, upload down (a lot) and ping time up.  Now get 7.7MB/s down compared to 8.7MB/s I used to get, right up until the point it changed.
I notice, at least on this forum, several people complaining about exactly the same thing: speed cap drop by about 10%, upload down and ping up – plus increased variability in ping and upload speed.  Is there a common cause?

Do you use a unlocked HG612 modem ?
fp
Grafter

Matthew, thanks for the response.  I have heard of crosstalk in the sense of it being undesirable, but cannot pretend to understand the technicalities of how my broadband connection works – or does not.  Nothing has changed at my end, so no idea how to make it go away.  Response to the ticket I raised suggests that PN are now 'testing my broadband line'.  Fingers crossed.
Mlmclaren.  No idea about the modem.  White box with and openreach logo, which I have had from the start - about one year.
mlmclaren
Grafter

any chance you could have a look at the back of it and tell me if it says ECI or Huawei?
fp
Grafter

It says ECI on the back
mlmclaren
Grafter

Ahhh OK...
Might be affected by G.INP issue, but that depends if your connected to a Huawei cabinet really.
fp
Grafter

Not at all what I was expected from PN.  Bit confused about the 71Mbps since the line is synced at 69.4.
But my question was can I have my 77Mbps sync speed back.
//----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thank you for your patience.
I have tested your line today and it appears the issue you reported is no longer occurring.
The connection is stable and the speed is running within the estimates for the line at around 71mbps.
Please do not hesitate to get back in touch online at http://contactus.plus.net or by phone on 0800 432 0200 if we can be of further assistance.
If you are happy the fault has been resolved, there is no need to reply as the ticket will close automatically after 14 days. This reduces our ticket volumes and lowers our overall response time.
darklight
Grafter

@fp yourl ip profile 77Mbps and you sync now at ip profile 69.4 ? mine drop from 77Mbps to 69Mbps about 11 days ago mine did the same thing, got the same spiel from PN, run speed tests and so on and on, in the end i read all the stuff about G.INP and got nowhere fast with the problem, so got a unlocked Huawei off ebay, and from yesterday when it arrived, my ip profile returned just like that.

fp
Grafter

Wow, spooky.   This sounds exactly the same and about the same timescale.  So is it a modem issue?  I have the ECI.  Question can BT fix it by a software update.
Any comment from PN on this?  
mlmclaren
Grafter

Wow, spooky.   This sounds exactly the same and about the same timescale.  So is it a modem issue?  I have the ECI.  Question can BT fix it by a software update.

The issue is a compatibility issue with the modem not supporting G.INP, and from what I've read today it sounds like you have had the newer firmware or you wouldn't be able to connect at all, the only way to fix this is by acquiring a G.INP compatible modem or a modem/router combination
I'm using a Huawei HG612 modem, but it seems as mine had only first been installed such a short time before G.INP was enbaled at my DSLAM (Fibre Cabinet) that I missed the firmware upgrade, Luckily I decided to unlock and look for newer firmware which is when I discovered the fix for the issue both me and @darklight have both had and it seems your having too.

Currently Plusnet can't comment on this as even the ISP's haven't had a statement from BT/Openreach yet regarding the matter,
More information (Thanks to Kitz) can be found here: http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,15283.0.html
fp
Grafter

Thanks.  This is the best (and only) explanation I have had.
Do those responding to tickets not know or don't concur.
If this is the problem, and several people have reported similar problems at the same time across the country, then I would expect a fix to recover my lost 10MB/s download speed.
Look forward to a PN comment.
bustermissy1961
Grafter

im sick of this already ive not long been on fibre but i live 126 metres actual line length from my exchange and im getting speeds of 28mb Yesterday i was getting 26.12mb/4.89mb speeds something is going on why aren't Plusnet letting on.The Modem i have is a ECI B-FOCuS V-2FUb/r rev.B i dont know what all that means but all i know is my speeds are shocking and i dont see why people should pay top price for a sub standard service.
bustermissy1961
Grafter

Why should people have to go out and spend their money on another Modem surely the least you should expect from a service your paying for are decent equipment which is fit for purpose.