cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed Issues

Silv
Hooked

Speed Issues

For the past week I've experienced no end of issues with my internet speed on certain devices.  On some devices everything is working fine, however on others everything is moving at snails pace.

Usually my internet speeds are around 70 down and 19 up.  As of right now my speed on my pc (connected via Wi-Fi) is 8 down and 10 up.

This is an issues I have experienced several times in the past but it has always corrected itself after a day or so, but it doesn't seem to be sorting itself out this time.  I have read a few posts on here from people with similar issues and the SNR margin usually seems to be the issue so I am wondering if that could be the same here.

9 REPLIES 9
Mads
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 79

Re: Speed Issues

Hello @Silv,

Thanks for reaching out to us here.

I'm sorry to hear your speeds are running as expected and I apologise for the frustration caused.

Have you gone ahead with our troubleshooting guide here ? Might also be worth trying a wired speed test - can you let us know the results? 

I'm unable to locate your account with the details we have from your profile, can you drop me a PM with your account username so I check the connection from this side? Give us a nudge on here once you've sent across those details please.

Thanks.

Silv
Hooked

Hi @Mads,

This morning the laptops seems fine, however my pc and phones are still running slow.  I'm unable to run a wired speed test because my pc is upstairs while the router is downstairs and I don't have a cable long enough.

I've sent you a PM with the info you requested.

As of this post I am getting 1.78 down and 13.94 up.

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @Silv,

Thank you for sending your account username. I'm sorry that you're still experiencing connection problems on some of your devices and for any inconvenience that this is causing you.

I've tested your line and the test has come back as inconclusive so I have raised this to our suppliers for further investigation. We should receive an update from our suppliers within three working days at the latest and our faults team will contact you once we've received this update. Please get back in touch on here if there's anything that you'd like to discuss in the meantime.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
Silv
Hooked

Hi @EmilyD 

I'm yet to hear anything regarding my issue.  Will I be contacted on here or via email by your faults team?

The connection is so slow this morning that I am not even able to run a speed test...

LordFoul
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 32

Hi Silv,

Thanks for coming back to us.

I've checked the fault and can see an engineer has been round and your connection is back up.

Can you please confirm this is the case and your broadband is now working without issue?

Thanks - LF

Silv
Hooked

Hi @LordFoul 

We did have an engineer round earlier, everything was fine for an hour or two but now everything is slow again.

Currently getting 3.11 down and 8.79 up.

Beyhive
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 44

Hi @Silv,

I have run a line test and it is not picking up the same fault it was detecting before the engineer visit. Just to make sure, are these results on a wired connection?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Faris
 Plusnet Help Team
Silv
Hooked

Hi @Beyhive 

Results are from WI-FI.  I am unable to connect via cable due to the location of the router and my pc.

Currently getting 0.40 down and 3.94 up.

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @Silv,

I'm sorry to hear that's the case. Everything appears fine when we test the line from our end of things, so we'd have to make the assumption that the problem lies somewhere between the router and the devices connected to it via Wi-Fi. When it comes to Wi-Fi, there's unfortunately too many external factors that come into play and so we're unable to guarantee what speeds you'll be able to consistently achieve, however if there's anyway you could setup a laptop to the router via an Ethernet cable and run some speedtests again, we'll have a more accurate gauge as to what the current speeds coming out of the router are.

In terms of what can be done to improve the Wi-Fi connections, it may be worth changing the wireless channels that your router is operating. We have a helpful video guide for step-by-step support in changing your wireless channel here.

1) To connect to your Hub One, you will need to open a browser and go to http://192.168.1.254

If you have any issues doing this via Wireless, we recommend trying to do it via Ethernet cable instead.

2) You should come to a page with information about your connection, click 'Settings' at the top and it will ask you to sign in with a Password. This is located on the back of your router under 'Admin Password'

3) Select the option for 'Wireless.'

4) If this is the first time trying this, you can select the option to 'Refresh' at the bottom of the page which will force your router to rescan for the best channel for you.

5) If you are still having issues then you may wish to change the channels manually. To do this, repeat the above steps but select 'Advanced Settings' instead of 'Settings' and this will give you several other options.

6) Under 'Channel Selection' you will want to change this from Automatic to any one of the other channels and see if it improves your wireless. Give it 3-4 hours of testing to see if the issue still persists and change it again if you see no improvement. If you are having the same issue on 5 GHz wireless then you can also change the wireless channel under the subheading of '5 GHz Wireless'.

Any Wireless channel is prone to interference and can be caused by a number of factors, changing this channel will usually resolve the issue, if problems are still persisting after this then it is likely that something else is causing the issue. Further help can be found here.

Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team