Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed Drop

FIXED
frazerg
Dabbler

Speed Drop

I moved into my house in November last year. Originally the speed estimate was 70-76mb for the plusnet service but once we moved in the best we could achieve was 34mb. BT engineer came out, changed faceplate, ran tests and concluded my connection ran some considerable distance in the opposite direction to the exchange and then looped back and so the best I would ever achieve after exhaustive tests was 34mb. I accepted this and my plusnet contract was altered accordingly.

For some reason recently my speed which was stable and fine at 34mb for months has dropped. The router reports I'm now running at 28.86mb. Over the years of having broadband I can accept fluctuations but with my speeds already lower than expected and having 34mb stable for months, I wanted to ask plusnet support to look into this and try and get my line back to the 34mb I had previously.

Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5
TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Re: Speed Drop

Hi @frazerg,

I'm sorry to hear that your speeds are performing lower than usual at the minute. I've tested your line today and I can see that you are currently receiving a downstream sync speed of 28.7Mbps, though I should state that this is within the estimated speed range for your line albeit towards the lower end. There could be a whole number of reasons behind why this has occurred, though my first suggestion would be to set the router up within the test socket in the property. We have a guide on how to do this here.

Please let us know how this goes and if you have any further questions then please don't hesitate to get back in touch and we'll be happy to assist further.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
frazerg
Dabbler

Hi,

Yes I have the latest BT socket, nothing connected to it other than the router, and so there is no difference taking faceplate off and using the test socket vs plugging into the faceplate. As I indicated in my post been there with BT engineer. I had 34mb since moving in and the BT engineering getting that setup, its dropped recently. Nothing bar a firmware update on the plusnet router has changed (at my side). So either its exchange or the firmware.

Best,

Frazer.

Jubby
All Star
Fixes: 31

Fix

Hello @frazerg,

Thank you for confirming.

After retesting the line, it appears that your connection is banded at 30Mbps. I have raised this to our suppliers and requested the banding be removed. Please allow up to 48 working hours for this to complete and let us know how you get on.

Thanks again.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lewis G
 Infrastructure Operations Professional
frazerg
Dabbler

Thanks @Jubby , I'm now connecting at 38mb down / 6mb up (again). No idea why my line got banded out of nowhere but its now resolved and I have the correct speed.

Jon
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 3

Hi @frazerg 

Thanks for the update.

Please let us know if we can be of any further assistance.

Jon Smith
 Plusnet Infrastructure Operations Professional