Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed Drop

danludlow
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Speed Drop

Download speed has dropped this week and remains slower. Only about 2Mbps and this is reflected in a lower profile of 45.4Mbps on BTW's Performance Test, down from 47.37Mbps which it has remained at for well over a year. Even then, the BTW Performance Test says that I am not receiving the minimum expected Speed and show a red line with an achieved speed of 33.6Mbps 6.25Mbps below minimum expected.

Tests with OOkla and Broadband Speed Checker suggest that BTW's Performance tester is under reading (substantially?) but surely it should be the best?

Whatever, I test speed frequently and at any sign of slowdown I become very concerned. If speed is achieved month after month only a physical change can effect it, IMHO, what change, and why are always the next questions.

Is there any reason that you know of for slowdown? This week whilst online some pages have frozen or failed to load yet the connection remains up and some sites seem unaffected, whilst others (particularly FB this week) just freeze for perhaps a minute, and as I say connection remains throughout apparently.

Any thoughts? I haven't altered anything at my end. I had been connected for 19 days unbroken but rebooted the Router two days ago in the hope of reconnecting to a faster gateway (the Modem remained on and connected normally to the cabinet)

4 REPLIES 4
wolliwuk

Re: Speed Drop

I have noticed similar this week. I am supposed to get minimum 34mb but have been achieving only region of 28mb.  Have had connection problems with WIFI and streaming programmes freezing whereas before they were rock solid. FB in particular on my iPhone has been loading so slow 

danludlow
Aspiring Pro

Thanks for replying wolliwuk. It gets annoying doesn't it, I don't react well to slow downs, left to my own devices day after day at the same speed, I'm happy to just carry on undisturbed, and undisturbing but any slow down or apparent fault instantly grabs my attention and gnaws away.

WRT freezes and performance issues, I wish I knew if the fault was my end or elsewhere, I don't know enough nor have the data to hand which indicates which is which. All too easy to reset/reboot equipment or try to correct by adjustment and in so doing make things worse. Very few suppliers today are keen to volunteer that a fault lies at their end either, i wish they did, or had to by regulation, it would save a lot of speculation and perhaps causing more harm when leaving alone is the best option.

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

It could be increased crosstalk from a new FTTC service.

Or interference from Christmas lights in the vicinity.

Or even due to the modem connecting at a different time of day.

I suggest getting your own modem/router with decent stats if you're that bothered by slight changes. Or learn to ignore it.

danludlow
Aspiring Pro

Thanks for replying ejs. Learning to ignore is the best option, if I can mange it.