Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed Drop

FIXED
Crewman1948
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Speed Drop

Since subscribing to fibre my download speed has been a fairly constant 18Mbps and upload about 2.25Mbps. However lately it has dropped to just under 14 Mbps download and 2.25Mbps upload. I called support yesterday and after running a few tests he said there was a fault in the copper wire side of the line.

He arranged a BT callout who came today - amazingly quick! However the BT engineer said there was no fault in the line. He then said I was getting 18 Mbps at the BT modem and it must be a fault with my router but after he had gone I connected my PC directly to the BT modem and still only got 14Mbps so it's not the router.

My PC has always been connected by cable as well as wifi. Anyone any ideas?

5 REPLIES 5
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Re: Speed Drop

What is the Plusnet Line Speed as shown here https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed

Also what does the BTW Ip Profile say at  speedtest.btwholesale.com/PerformanceTesterWS/diagnostics.do , just enter your phone number and do not change anything at the router even if the page says to.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
Crewman1948
Dabbler

Ok. The Plusnet line speed shows current speed 14.7Mbps. It also says there's no speed estimate currently held on the account.

The BTW Ip profile shows 22.66Mb for download with an actual reading of 13.67Mb and 10Mb for upload with an actual reading of 1.16Mb.

Hope that helps.

SpendLessTime
Hero

Okay the key part is the Plusnet line speed. This is the limit that your download speed will work at. Hence why you are getting 14Mbps

So you need to phone/Chat with Plusnet and get them to increase then Plusnet Line Speed up towards the BT IP Profile. The Plusnet Line Speed should be just less than the BT IP Profile Download Speed.

Once PLusnet have increased this and you have verified it using the link given above, then you need to log onto the router, click "Disconnect", wait a minute and then click "connect" to get the new speed.

Crewman1948
Dabbler

Fix

Many thanks SpendLessTime for your help. Have just spoken to support who admitted the line was capped but couldn't see the reason as it checked at 23Mbps.He said it was the accounts department who'd done it but couldn't give a reason.I can also now remember a similar occurrence when I was on ADSL. Very frustrating when they do it for no apparent reason and don't tell you they've done it either.

SpendLessTime
Hero

You're welcome.