Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed Drop

Gussie
Grafter

Speed Drop

Hi,
Could someone from Plusnet please check my setup to explain why my speeds have dropped
Back in June I was getting an average 52Mb download and 7.8Mb upload - even with a spurious voice fault (see attachment).
Now I seem to be getting around 45Mb and 6.5Mb respectively.
Perhaps I'm nitpicking, but I'd like to know why the drop in my profile and I do keep my modem connected all the time.
Thanks for your assistance.
25 REPLIES 25
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Speed Drop

Hi Gussie,
I've just checked over your details and ran some diagnostic checks.
Everything looks fine from our point of view, the speed profile is set appropriately, you've been connected for over 23 days etc.
Did you achieve the speed test results over a wireless connection by any chance?
Let us know either way please and if you haven't done so yet please try connecting to the router via ethernet and run a test at
http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Gussie
Grafter

Hi Adam,
I always run speed tests using the ethermet cable interface which is connected directly to my router.
I have attached the BT test info you requested.
May I remind you that in June, shortly after I joined Plusnet, I was thrilled to be getting 52Mb download and 7.8Mb upload.
Starting in September this had dropped to 48Mb/7.2Mb. I queried this with you at the time and you said everything is OK, so I grudgingly accepted it.
Now two months on,  it has dropped again and you are suggesting as before, that there are no issues - I see a pattern emerging!
Please rerun the GEA Service Test that I attached in my first post and let me see the results, so that I can compare now with what it was back in June/July.
If the metrics show a significant drop then I would like an explanation - because it seems to me that I may be experiencing a slow but ongoing speed slowdown.
I'm beginning to wonder what my speed be around Christmas - 40Mb ????Huh

Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Its my understanding that speed will drop if you are on a newly activated cabinet, the more connections active the slower it goes as they all share the same bandwidth
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

not really - as I understand it - it is an increase in cross talk not the link capacity
sjptd
Grafter

That kind of relatively modest drop can be due to crosstalk as extra lines are connected to your cabinet.  
What is the estimate for your line (at https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/adsl.htm)?
Have you done the 'Further Diagnotics' after the BT Wholesale speed test (http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/)?  At least for download that will confirm whether limitations are at the Openreach modem/cabinet level, or at some higher level for which Plusnet is responsible.
It might be worth disconnecting and reconnecting your router (NOT modem).  Sometimes when DLM forces modem reconnection to allow higher speeds the router does not notice, and so you stay with an unnecessarily low Openreach profile.  (You could also check for this if you had an unlocked modem.)
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Please rerun the GEA Service Test that I attached in my first post and let me see the results, so that I can compare now with what it was back in June/July.

Hi, there's nothing to show, no issues indicated whatsoever from KBD diagnostics which that is a part of.
Everything looks fine from our point of view.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Gussie
Grafter

Quote from: _Adam_Walker_
...  nothing to show, no issues indicated ...

Are you willing to show me the actual report you ran today.
Back in July there was no reluctance to supply the actual screenshot - see attachment.
This clearly shows Max, Min and Avg Downstream Line Rate back in July as 54.5, 54.2 and 54.4 Mbps !
What are those figures today ?
Please supply the actual screenshot as was done back in July.
EDIT: 16:40 Just had to reboot my modem as I had lost my Internet connection - are you doing something to my line Huh Speed unchanged.
Gussie
Grafter

Could someone from Plusnet please reply to the above.
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

I don't have the results from earlier today, but I have re-run the GEA test and posted the results on to ticket 94417202.
Your line is banded down to 25M-49M profile. Provided your line remains stable, and as you are syncing at the upper limit, this should automatically remove over the coming days. Should this not happen, we'd need an engineer to find a fault and make a change prior to the banding being lifted.
Tony
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
Gussie
Grafter

Another new term ... "banded down" - all very confusing!
All I know is that my speed has steadily dropped since I joined Plusnet.
This is what I used to get ...

Can I get that speed back again ?
If not, I'd like to be told why not.
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

There are many number of reasons why speeds can drop. In this case, your line is banded so I would imagine you have had drops or errors on your line.
We can try to resolve this for you, as I said above an engineer will most likely be needed. This will only be the case though if banding isn't automatically removed.
Tony
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
Gussie
Grafter

Thanks, I will wait a week or so to see what happens.
Gussie
Grafter

Right, It's been a while now and my speeds have worsened - especially upload.
A common trend - join Plusnet - get fantastic speeds - several months later the speed slide starts and continues.
This is what I got when I joined ...

This is what I get now (measured at the FTTC Modem lan port) ...

I attach the BT diagnostic (measured at the FTTC Modem lan port)
Hoping for a solution - otherwise I fear further drops  Cry

Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

Unless your BTW speed test goes into the red there isn't much plusnet will do you will be stuck with what you have, I have lost speed my self gone from 65mb down to 46Mb and sadIy it's not in the red for plusnet to do anything, I  wish you luck hopefully your speeds drop far enough into the red so they will have to do something, It's something i pray for daily but sadly it hasn't happened.
@tony why is it i have been refused any help with my connection which i beleive has been banded and you say Gussie gets a enginner visist if DLM doesn't remove his, it hasn't removed mine for weeks.