cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed Drop...capped speed?

aelsbury
Dabbler

Speed Drop...capped speed?

Normally, my FTTC Unlimited Fibre Extra runs around 40ish Mbs, but over the last two weeks it has decreased to 20 Mbs...with current line speed capped at 25.2Mbps. Not sure why this has happened as I've been with Plusnet for over 4 years and the service has been rock solid. My issue looks suspiciously similar to this post: here.

Can I request PN look at my downstream banding and request a DLM reset?

See attached speed tests, all run as instructed.

bt wholesale diag test.PNG

BT Broadband Availability Checker.JPG

9 REPLIES 9
Beyhive
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 44

Re: Speed Drop...capped speed?

Hi @aelsbury, sorry to hear you're having broadband issues.

I've had a check of the connection and there definitely seems to be something out of place somewhere as we can see the disconnections from this end which will be affecting your speeds as well, although our tests aren't picking up exactly what's causing the issue so we will have to do some troubleshooting to start ruling things out.

I'd recommend starting with basic checks here

And if that doesn't help the next thing would be to rule your internal wiring out by plugging the connection into your test socket which is under the faceplate of your master socket and seeing if the drops stop. This rules out internal wiring, face plates and extension sockets as being the cause. How to locate the test socket and set your connection into it can be found here

Let us know once you've done the checks so we can progress it for you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Faris
 Plusnet Help Team
aelsbury
Dabbler

Thanks for your reply. I've tested via the master socket and the results were the same...

aelsbury
Dabbler

stats are beyond worse...

Capture.PNG

aelsbury
Dabbler

and this morning...

again - not sure why I'm getting such a wide variation in test results.

Capture.PNG

Beyhive
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi @aelsbury,

You've mentioned that you've tested the master socket but have you plugged the router into the test socket as advised on my previous response. Also, are you testing the speed on a wired or wireless connection? If it's on wireless, please run a speed test using a wired connection and see what speeds you end up with.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Faris
 Plusnet Help Team
aelsbury
Dabbler

Test completed via test socket over Ethernet...it's improved but still not quite what it should be. Is the IP Profile still negotiating the best speeds? If so, I guess I'll wait and monitor.

Capture.PNGCapture2.PNG

Beyhive
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi @aelsbury,

I have updated the fault ticket, please click here to find my response.

Faris
 Plusnet Help Team
aelsbury
Dabbler

Good morning.

BT OpenReach looked at the issue today. He re-crimped the line outside and replaced the master socket within the house. He then tested the copper outside, which resulted in speeds of around 50 Mbs. Then he tested at the master socket and received a speed of 30 Mbs...and told my wife the BT modem might need to be replaced.

Not sure how the modem would affect the 30 Mbs result when the test was conducted at the master socket, prior to the modem. Wouldn't the issue be with the copper where is comes out of the ground to the master socket?

Will PN elevate/identify this issue with BT OpenReach?

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Thanks for getting back to us @aelsbury

We've retested the line and we can see that the sync speeds are at 32.4mbps which is still below the estimates for your line.

I've updated the fault ticket with the engineer's notes and the test results. We'll update you as soon as we know more

Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team