cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed Differences

RobS2
Grafter

Speed Differences

Has anyone had a huge difference between the estimated speed and their actual speed.  I had my connection upgraded to fibre a week ago with an estimated speed of 80mbps.  The connection speed is changeable, but is typically around 1.8mbps, but does drop as low as 0.01mbps.
Just after some data points.....
4 REPLIES 4
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Speed Differences

what did the engineer say the speeds were
RobS2
Grafter

I haven't seen an engineer.  Someone from OpenReach confirmed 1.8mbps as the sync speed.  The second person from OpenReach was able to diagnose my issue as a moving house problem.  By sitting in his van at the exchange he could tell that the house had moved by 300m over the last 7 days - I cant believe that the cable didn't break.  He then went on to say that PN had miss-sold the product and that he was telling the same story to lots of people - the line is long and the estimates are not reliable.
In typical PN fashion, a difficult problem requires a radical solution - "we can release you from your contract with no charge".
All am trying to understand is if this issue is typical or just affecting the people in the area where I live.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

The BT man was being economical with the truth Plusnet take their figures from http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/ADSLChecker.TelephoneNumberOutput
It might be worth going to the address checker to see if that is different and looking at a few houses around
It would also be worth checking your cab and seeing if you can find it
RobS2
Grafter

I'm about 2km from the cab, so suspect it is a BT estimation issue. Most of my neighbours have an estimated speed of 80mbps, although some a little closer have 16mbps as their speed estimates (taken from the DSL Checker).
However I am trying to find out whether the estimation errors are unusual?