cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed Cut in Half since migrated to new network

Mantaray
Grafter

Speed Cut in Half since migrated to new network

Last week, I noticed a reduction in download speeds.  After completing a BT speediest I noticed that my usual 73-74mbs line was now maxing out at 36.9mbs????  Note the cabinet is outside my property, the line distance is 38.2 metres - that must be some imaginative routing to make the line that long.

Checked my line speed at Plusnet, now its set at 21mbs, what?  

I find a question on my account that said I was due to migrate on Monday 4 July. Interesting, the Saturday before I tested at 73+mbs, now its exactly half that.  

I contacted Plusnet on Wednesday evening and went straight through to someone, who changed my profile, and I restarted my router all to no avail and said it was likely that the migration was the culprit, was told that they would raise a question with the faults team, When can I expect an update? I asked, within 72hours was the answer, but it was you that messed up my line, you migrated me, surely this should be prioritised? Nope.  

Rebooted my router, reset to factory settings just in case.

Phoned again on Friday, no update, I received a call while out on Saturday telling me that my line had been tested and that my speed was exactly what I should expect and that it is good - oh really.  I phone back and explain what they have missed.  I'm now expected to wait in for an engineer on Wednesday morning (agreed morning was emailed a morning confirmation and texted that it was the afternoon!) as there is nothing they can do.

So once I phoned again to check when exactly the engineer is expected to come, note the amount of time it is taking for me to sort out your error.

So I'm now concerned that the engineer will turn up and tell me Plusnet has limited your profile - please tell me that won't be the response as you have messed up enough so far and wasted far too much of my time.  Please can someone confirm that the engineer has all the notes they need to sort this out as this has been an utter shambles so far.

You need a better process to sort out your errors, however, I was told by the person in faults thats its not that bad as I still have internet, sorry not good enough, should I be grateful that you only managed to mess up half my speed? 

16 REPLIES 16
flanzm
Pro
Fixes: 15

Re: Speed Cut in Half since migrated to new network

I've got a similar issue here.  I was migrated at the end of June and since then my line speed on PlusNet is now showing at 21Mbps.

Estimated line speed:There's no speed estimate currently held on your account.Current line speed:21 Mb

Now the weird thing is that general speed testers report line speed but certain applications such as Youtube streaming suffer from terrible buffering.  It's almost like the profile is being half applied across the plusnet network.

Please can someone have a look at this.  I tried raising this with the chat team online but they didn't seem to be able to help much.

Thanks.  Mike

Andrue
Pro
Fixes: 1

Could you check your external IP address here:

https://whatismyipaddress.com

And if it starts with 51. that's could be the cause as there seems to be ongoing network fault.

flanzm
Pro

Yes it's 51.9.69.xxx 

Sorry I wasn't aware of the issue - what is the network fault ?  Is the 21Mbps profile observation related ?

Mantaray
Grafter

It was 217.xxx, now it's 51.xx

Had the same problem under both ip's
scrookes
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Hi Mantaray,

Unable to locate your account on our systems. Can you drop me a PM with your username please so I can investigate.

@flanzm -I've corrected your speed profile so this should now reflect in the portal for you.

flanzm
Pro

Many thanks for swift response.  Will reconnect and see how things go.  Mike

scrookes
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Thanks for the PM Mantaray,

Responded to your message.

TheDeuce
Dabbler

I am having exactly the same issues, had a solid 3 years of 70Mbs down and 18Mbs up, apparently I had a battery fault on my line last week, which was supposedly fixed, sat at 38Mbs for a couple of days then my profile was reset to "original" speed. Hovering around the 60-61Mbs for a couple more days and now I am sat at 18-20Mbs with a 10Mbs upload. Had to raise another fault report, will see what happens now.

My contract finished last month, I only know as my bill went up £3.50 a month, no contact from Plusnet offering any deals to keep me or to even inform me that I am out of contract, strange that my speeds drop the minute my contract is up or am I being cynical? 

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Your profile and sync speed look fine from what I can see.

Can you carry out a speedtest at http://speedtest.btwholesale.com

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
TheDeuce
Dabbler

Download speed 19.03 Mbps

Upload speed 13.78

Latency 17.25ms

Mantaray
Grafter

An update, an engineer arrived this morning at 8.15 which was good for me.  Didn't know what was going on as the notes passed on didn't explain what had happened - exactly what I thought would happen.

Using information passed via a DM from Scrookes they checked my provisioning their end, all was ok.  In the end the famous turn it off and on again worked!  The port was restarted from BT's end and now I get 70mbs still lower than my speed previously and can't be found on the Plusnet gateway, core2-hu0-18-0-0.southbank.ukcore.bt.net (62.172.103.24) 7.110 ms.  So I wonder what that means.  

Not happy with the continued reduction in speed, albeit the reduction is smaller than before.

I was fine where I was, this migration has caused no end of problems and now with all these restarts I'm still on a 51 IP (previously with my ultra stable, high performing line I was on 217) so lets see what that does for my line.

Mantaray
Grafter

Just completed a BT wholesale test and apparently my max achievable speed is now 72.89, which continues to be wrong!!

Plusnet sort this out, my max achievable speed should not have changed and should be 78.

Mantaray
Grafter

Hi

Any update? It's over24 hours since BT attended and I've no update to my ticket,a DM or this thread.
Mantaray
Grafter

Hi

still no contact from Plusnet after Openreach's attendance on Wednesday morning - and no update to my question, very poor show Plusnet.  Hopefully I'll get my price rise email soon.