Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spectacularly slow fibre broadband

markhawkin
Pro
Fixes: 12

Spectacularly slow fibre broadband

My "mature" in-laws had dreadful ADSL speeds. After some years the speed of page display got to (even) them and they wanted "the computer speeded up" and I got them to sign up for VDSL fibre. This had a predicted speed of around 40Mb/s and I thought that would do it.

Once installed I went round and did a speed test, 25Mb/s down/2Mb/s up. Not great but better than the 2-3Mb/s down/0.2Mb/s up they had on ADSL.

Two weeks later I visited again and the speed had decreased to 3Mb/s down but 2Mb/s up.

The limited Hub One router logs suggest disconnections and reconnections. Their phone wiring is somewhat suspect having lots of extensions and (I suspect) various stubs and joins. I didn't think of listening for noise.

On my next visit I'll investigate further and I've asked if a more direct wire to the place where the Hub One is can be run so the setup can be improved.

If I provided their username would it be possible to see the disconnection logs for their line ?

I am the satisfied customer....
5 REPLIES 5
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Spectacularly slow fibre broadband

Hi there,

If you can PM me their username I can put the connection logs on to a ticket on their account where they/you can view it.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
markhawkin
Pro

Many thanks for the logs. I'll investigate further.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

No problems, let us know if you need anything else.

Anoush

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
markhawkin
Pro

Unsurprisingly the problem seems to have been the internal phone wiring at the house.

As with many older houses the phone line enters the call and that is where the BT master socket is.

After fitting a "vDSL Faceplate Filter" and a direct cable from the "Hub One" to the master socket matters have improved considerably.

It's still not achieving the speed estimate but I hope that, given time, it will.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Feel free to PM me the username and I'll retest the line.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team