cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Somethings Not Looking Good!!

englishrick
Grafter

Somethings Not Looking Good!!

Ok, just had my old dears telephone me and my line was so crackly it was unbelievable, so I thought I would go and have a look at my broadband quality meter over at thinkbroadband and something is not right.
Here's a snapshot from the 1st December

Here's one from the 2nd December

Here's one from 3rd December

Here's one from 4th December

and one from today so far.

When the olds called last Friday the line was fine... Can someone have a look into this please..Internet speeds seem ok abeit the ping is a little high at 26ms
14 REPLIES 14
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Somethings Not Looking Good!!

What tests have you done?  Is the line still crackling?  Does it still crackle if you use the test socket?  Have you tried a different phone?
englishrick
Grafter

Somethings obviously changed since the 2nd December graph.....
Dick:quote
pwatson
Rising Star

Yes... You have a phone fault!
In order to investigate further, what tests have you done?  Is the line still crackling?  Does it still crackle if you use the test socket?  Have you tried a different phone?
tonycollinet
Grafter

With it being peak time only, it looks like exchange congestion rather than a line fault.
WWWombat
Grafter

It looks like business as usual to me, near enough.
Peak hour, with some congestion. Monday nights are always the quietest, getting busier through the week.
The crackle indicates a phone fault, that should be dealt with as such - no mention of broadband.
The graphs show no hint of the consequences of a crackle; the first thing you'd see would be some of:
- tall thin red spikes as a resync happens
- short wide red spikes, showing packet loss
- a jump in the green bar of ~10ms when DLM intervenes because of the error rate.
None of these are present.
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
englishrick
Grafter

Great so my exchange is congested AGAIN!!!!!! This will be the 3rd time in less than 2 years this problem has happened then...and to be honest I think we had a problem with crackle on the line the other 2 times this happened as well, i'll have to look back at previous posts!! So WHY did this only start the other day???
Todays graph...
englishrick
Grafter

Speeds are ok this time though, as when the congested exchange last couple of times the speeds dropped dramatically during peak.
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html?id=141789385454077941813
pwatson
Rising Star

Quote from: englishrick
to be honest I think we had a problem with crackle on the line the other 2 times this happened as well

Again - The crackle is a phone line fault and needs to be addressed before you dig into any broadband issues...  Crackly lines are not caused by exchange congestion!
WWWombat
Grafter

Remember that the yellow peaks only require one packet in every hundred to be delayed somewhat - and it doesn't have to be in the exchange. These really only show that things are starting to get busy; but we all know that 9pm is the busy hour, right?
The blue areas are of more concern, but only if they become quite high *and* you know you weren't doing any download/streaming activities on the line yourself.
To my mind, 4 graphs show nothing whatsoever, while there is enough blue at 9pm on the 3rd and 10:15 on the 4th to make me watch future graphs ... but it is of no more concern than that. And, as I said before, there is nothing on the graphs that give any hint of the voice crackle causing a data consequence.
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
englishrick
Grafter

So why all of a sudden on the 3rd Dec have the graphs gone crazy and why on the Friday 28th Nov the line was fine but on Friday 5th Dec line was [Censored] and the stats were also [Censored]....
dick:quote
englishrick
Grafter

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Have you reported the crackling as a line fault? If not, I'd get that done first. If we're not the phone provider don't mention broadband when you report it.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
englishrick
Grafter

Hi Chris, the crackle seems to have gone from the line now but once again the same as the other couple of times if you remember, but this time speed seems okish but I am getting loads of lag on online play on PS4 so much so that I have to turn ps4 off as the stutter is that bad I cant play..

[Moderator's note by Dick (Strat):  Full quote of preceding post removed, as per Forum Rule]
englishrick
Grafter

Crackle has been on the line again for the last month or so..... Can any of the PN staff run a test on my line please..thanks