Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something changed ?a

jamesanstee
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Something changed ?a

Has something changed on my fttc line sync speed has increased and ip profile is looking better ,Previously the ip profile was somewhere around 64Mbps

7 REPLIES 7
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Something changed ?a

Hi there,

I've taken a look at the connection logs and made some checks and I can't see anything obvious but glad to see things have improved a bit.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

I notice your downstream SNRM is 3.3 dB. I am not an expert but I believe the target SNRM is 6 dB. I wonder if DLM has dropped the SNRM to 3 dB (maybe due to a low number of errors on the line perhaps) and you therefore have a corresponding increase in speed. Just a thought.

Do you know what your downstream SNRM was before the increase in speed?

brookheather
Rising Star

There was talk of OpenReach dropping the target noise margin to 3db - maybe this has started:

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2016/11/speed-boost-bt-openreach-prep-3db-snr-fttc-broadband-li...

BT FTTP 500 + pfSense + Uniquiti Unifi 6 Pro
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

@brookheather - that is very interesting. I hadn't realised that was rolling out. It definitely looks like the OP has been put on a 3dB profile. According to your link, it won't be implemented until March. Maybe the OP is in one of the trial areas, or maybe the rollout has started early.

Either way, I am hoping to gain a little speed from this move as my line is very stable.

jamesanstee
Aspiring Pro

So far the line has been very stable at the new line speed.

jamesanstee
Aspiring Pro

Seems something on my line has changed again it disconnected around half past midnight , my line has never synced at this speed before so im not sure if something is being trialed on my line as mentioned in a post further up.

jafreer
Aspiring Pro

The resync has happened at a time when your downstream SNRM was a little higher than 3 dB (SNRM isn't a constant and changes with time of day, line conditions etc). On reconnection, the connection speed was adjusted (upwards), based on the current line condition, to have a SNRM of 3 dB (the target SNRM). This has gained you a few Mbps.

As to why the resync? Not sure. Most likely DLM, but could have been a whole variety of reasons. Providing your line is reasonably stable, and can tolerate the minor SNRM fluctuations, there is no reason why you shouldn't remain at that slightly higher speed, at least for a while.