Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something Amiss this morning

danludlow
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Something Amiss this morning

Following a BTO reset after an engineer visit just before Christmas my speed was 51Mbs Down. Too fast for the distance and within a week or so this fell to 47Mbs and sat there happily for maybe a month, it then fell to 54.4Mbs and sat there unmoving ever since (these are speeds at the PC, at the socket are about 2Mbps faster, always). Over the speed dropping period the Ping has fallen from perhaps 24ms to about 11ms and it sat there more or less unmoving. All these results are from Ookla.

Today the speed was down to 42mbps and the ping was up to 21ms. I had a look and my Hub one Router apparently reconnected to the internet about 4 hours ago, presumably we were disconnected externally.

Until about 3 weeks ago Speed tests found London Closest, so we were probably connected to servers in Docklands? About 3 weeks ago we started seeing Speed tests around Sheffield so we have presumably been moved back up North? Today speedtest is using Servers in Manchester, suggesting that we are still there.

I accessed my Hub One and reset it remotely hoping that it would perhaps clear the slow speed/find a better connection. It rebooted but refuses to accept my password to log in and has locked me out for a minute saying "too many wrong attempts" or similar. I used the correct password as I have been using for some time. Is my Hub One Faulty?

I am happy whilst speeds remain steady, I am not happy when they fall and the only way seems downwards. I cannot see that anything has changed on my rural connection to cause speed drops. Can my connection be reset remotely to restart DLM?

3 REPLIES 3
OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Re: Something Amiss this morning

Hi @danludlow, thanks for your post.

I'm sorry to hear of your decreasing speed issue.

It looks like the line has been banded due to errored seconds, which has decreased the stability.

Please raise a fault at https://faults.plus.net, letting us know here when you've done so.

Please note - The fault site will be back online at 17:00, it's down at the moment for maintenance and so we'd recommend waiting until then.

danludlow
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Hi OskarPapa,

I  contacted faults who checked the line but found all seemingly in order. I went through a spell of hanging pages yesterday a flagged message suggested that DNS was unavailable more than once.

My Downlink speed remains restricted today, I have lost 2Mbs since last week and at least 4Mbps over the last month seemingly. I cannot think that anything has changed, so why is my speed being restricted?

Speed shown on the BTW site suggests that my speed is capped at 43Mbps for months its been at 45Mbps, why the cap, can this or will this be removed?

What are errored seconds? What is the solution to them?

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @danludlow,

Thank you for getting back in touch. I've tested your line and it's currently banded to a maximum of 49mbps with some errors on the line:

The test is indicating that there are some errors on the line which, as @OskarPapa has mentioned, is the likely cause of the banding. An errored second is basically a period in which something has gone wrong with the connection - e.g. a dropped packet or a complete loss of sync. These are normally caused by interference on the line, which could either come from your internal equipment/wiring or from something external.

As your current sync speed is within the line's estimates of 40-56.1mbps, we are limited in terms of what we can do from here in regards to this issue and we wouldn't be able to raise this to our suppliers as a fault but I would recommend that you carry out some troubleshooting checks to resolve any internal wiring/equipment issues.

I'd recommend starting with basic checks here: If these checks don't resolve the problem, the next step would be to connect your router directly to the test socket, which is under the faceplate of your master socket and seeing if the connection stabilises This rules out internal wiring, face plates and extension sockets as being the cause. Please see the following guide for instructions on how to connect to the test socket. https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/Testing-From-The-Master-Socket/ba-p/1322242

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team