Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Someone have a look at my line please?

steveocee
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Someone have a look at my line please?

I know I'll never get full 80/20 speeds from my line but recently my ping has slowly been increasing. When my line went live it used to be around 17-18ms and then at one point something happened and it dropped to 9-10!! 

Recently it has crept right the way up to 25(ish)ms and whilst not life ending is annoying as I know what it was. In addition to this though my sync speed has increased a lot, at first it used to only be around 60Mb but looking at my modem stats, this is a lot higher than it used to be. How does that work? Sync speed goes up as does ping?

If anyone can have a quick look? Maybe reset the profile? Ideally stick me on fastpath as well?

From my HG612 modem:

Last initialization procedure status: 0
Max: Upstream rate = 19832 Kbps, Downstream rate = 72476 Kbps
Bearer: 0, Upstream rate = 19413 Kbps, Downstream rate = 57852 Kbps

Thanks

Steve

www.steveocee.co.uk
6 REPLIES 6
MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Re: Someone have a look at my line please?

Hi @steveocee 

Can you let us know if you are noticing this higher ping rate on wired or wireless connections? 

Thanks, 

MoR

steveocee
Rising Star

Hello @MasterOfReality ,

"Shibboleet" Cool_smiley

Tests are always done from the same Linux box which is hardwired in to a switch. The network itself was silent at the time with <50Kb running over the WAN interface.

I actually blogged August of last year about how good PN customer service was when I then requested to go on fastpath and screenshot the results (from the same linux box) https://www.steveocee.co.uk/fttc-fast-path-interleaving-removal-with-plusnet/

www.steveocee.co.uk
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Thanks for getting back to us @steveocee

From what we can see your line has had a high level of interleaving added to combat errors on your line.

I'm afraid that it's not possible for us to request interleaving to be removed as it's done completely by DLM. Even if we could it's more than likely that DLM would re-add it unless the underlying issue is resolved.

Over time DLM may remove interleaving or drop it to the low level but I'm afraid we can't give a guarantee for when that would be

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
steveocee
Rising Star

Nightmare.

OK Thank you for checking.

www.steveocee.co.uk
steveocee
Rising Star

Hi @MatthewWheeler & @MasterOfReality ,

It seems to be getting worse. I'm getting packet loss which is starting to affect video streaming now on other devices (also cabled in). Can the sync speed be reduced so it doesn't have to interleave as hard and in turn reduce the error count?

If the line isn't capable of holding anything above 55Mb consistently I'm more than happy to have the package dropped to the 55/10 product to firm it up. Heavy interleaving and packet loss is a nightmare which over the next few weeks is going to hurt my VOIP a lot!

www.steveocee.co.uk
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi Steve.

Sorry to hear this and thanks for getting back to us.

Unfortunately as my colleague has advised we have no control over DLM for a fibre circuit which includes adjusting the SNR/sync rate like for standard broadband connections.

With regards to downgrading you to 55/10 I'm afraid that we don't offer this package. 

Are you able to try plugging your computer directly into the router using an ethernet cable taking your switch out of the equation? Do you also have another router you could try to compare?

It may also be worth running a traceroute to pingbox1.thinkbroadband.com when the issue occurs.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet