cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Some sites want to default to US versions - but not all?

Uncle_Tupelo
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Some sites want to default to US versions - but not all?

I recently upgraded to fibre from ADSL and everything is fine apart from one minor but irritating issue. Most websites resolve and behave appropriately, but a couple (next.co.uk and monsoon.co.uk) want to default to the US version. Next.co.uk gets stuck in a loop where it asks what country/currency I want to use, but selecting UK/£ just reverts to the same page with US/$ suggested. Monsoon.co.uk just shows all prices in $. Every other site I've tried which has UK and US variants (eg Amazon) behaves as I would expect. This happens with every device connected to my PN router, but interestingly, if we switch wifi off on our phones, the sites behave perfectly over 4G.

I tried to get help from PN via chat, but all they could suggest was turning the router off for a while to see if a new IP address would fix the issue - which it didn't. Any ideas?

14 REPLIES 14
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Some sites want to default to US versions - but not all?

Have you checked your browser 'Locale' to make sure it hasn't reverted to US after an update.

Mine did.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Uncle_Tupelo
Rising Star

No, but will check this evening when I get home. Though it affects all devices (Android, iOS and Windows), so I'd have thought it unlikely to be an issue with individual device settings - logic suggests it to be a router issue?

RichardB
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 39

You should check your WAN IP address,  type "whats my IP" into google.

There is a long thread re PN using some USA registered IP address ranges:

https://community.plus.net/t5/Plusnet-Feedback/IP-addresses-not-UK-Can-customers-please-report-any-p...

Not all websites admins have updated their Geo location to reflect that these address are now owned by a UK based ISP 😕

Strat
Community Veteran

I see that your current IP comes up on my check as

an IPv4 address owned by GlaxoSmithKline and located in Philadelphia, United States

To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Since that is presumably from work that isn't too relevant

Strat
Community Veteran

Good point @Oldjim Embarrassed

Uncle_Tupelo
Rising Star

Correct - I am at work now but the problem relates to my home service.

I suspect RichardB's suggestion is very plausible as it only seems to affect a couple of specific sites. I'll explore further this evening.

EDIT: Although oddly, both next.co.uk and monsoon.co.uk behave as they should via my US registered work IP address.

Uncle_Tupelo
Rising Star

Ok, I've checked my IP address and it is in the INFONET range (146.198.0.0 - 146.198.255.255) mentioned in RichardB's link above, which some sites seem to recognise as US. It is also registered to INFONET Services corporation, rather than PN or even BT. I suspect this might be my issue?

RichardB
Seasoned Champion

From the thread I linked above there appears to be three options:

1) Ask Bob Pullen of PN to contact the websites affected,

2) Use a VPN

3) Pay PN a 1 off £5 fee to opt for a static IP address. Static IP are from a different address range.

I would suggest that option 3 is the quickest way to resolve the issue 😐

Richard

Uncle_Tupelo
Rising Star

Thanks Richard, that was my thinking too, but I wasn't sure that the static IP might not come from the same block. Worth a try for a fiver though.

RichardB
Seasoned Champion

The static IP address range is from a different range and resolved a VOIP Geolocation issue, according to this post and the subsequent two posts:

https://community.plus.net/t5/Plusnet-Feedback/IP-addresses-not-UK-Can-customers-please-report-any-p...

Still I would like to think that PN would protectively contact NEXT and Monsoon to fix the issue(s), as the majority of BB users are not sufficiently "technically literate" to understand the problem and may end up assuming that PN are at fault when these retail sites tag them as in the USA. Especially if they can use the sites on their mobile phones....

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

@Uncle_Tupelo If you haven't done so yet, post in the thread linked by RIchardB and we'll make sure this is picked up asap.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Uncle_Tupelo
Rising Star

Have done so Chris - by picked up, I presume you mean PN will contact Next and Monsoon rather than doing something about my IP address?

Incidentally, I chatted with PN support again today and the support person recommended resetting my router to factory state - I presume in order to ensure a new IP address is forced. I suppose that in the two hours I had my router switched off on Sunday, it is possible that my old IP address wasn't renewed. Seems a drastic solution, but I'll give it a try unless anyone thinks it unecessary.

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Yep, we should pick up that thread and deal with the IP issues reported.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.