cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Some questions now FTTC is installed and working.

Pendragon
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

Some questions now FTTC is installed and working.

Kit;
FTTC cabinet is about 180 Mtrs faceplate to cabinet
10 Mtr RJ11 extension from faceplate to Openreach modem (originally used by ADSL modem/router and reused by Kelly installer)
Standard Openreach modem ECI Telecom model B-FOCuS V-2Fub/r
Plusnet supplied router TG582n just used as a gateway to connect to our internal 1Gb home network
These are my speed tests over the weekend
After install tested by Kelly engineer Friday morning; 74.87 down, 18.89 up
Saturday morning; 75.09 down, 18.92 up
Sunday; 62.86 down, 16.45 up
Today; 64.35 down, 17.33 up
I’m not complaining about the speed (I downloaded  a game from Steam today, 2.7Gig in 6 min), but is this the sort of results you would expect on a new installation based on the problems over the weekend with outages and my enforced power cut shortly after the install?
Will the system restore speed back to the installed speed or is the lower speed going to be the ‘norm’ I only ask so I can get an idea of a baseline to work from?
It seems from tests I’ve done that it’s impossible to get any useful  stats from the ECI (any at all in fact) and as I’m sort of paranoid about such things (years of using ADSL on a long rural line) I’m asking what others would do in my stead?
Would you re-site the Openreach modem nearer to the faceplate and replace the 10Mtr extension with a 1.5 or 2Mtr one?
Would you change out the Openreach modem for an ‘all in one’ modem/router and get rid of the supplied kit in favour of getting sensible stats?
Any or all thoughts gratefully received, regards, P.
Oh yes almost forgot all tests returned a Ping of 5 (milliseconds?)
6 REPLIES 6
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Some questions now FTTC is installed and working.

There are two possible reasons for the reduction in speed
The Plusnet network is out of balance - should sort itself out
The sync speed has dropped - BT speedtest Further diagnostics will show that
If the latter it may be the automatic systems in the cab going for increased stability
Did you switch off the modem since getting connected
Pendragon
Rising Star

Hi Oldjim,
Just the once on Friday morning after the engineer had left so I could re-site the power supply and cables to add in another 5 port switch and make the TG just a gateway, it was off for about an hour or so, from then on no.
I did re-boot the TG when the internet went down but didn't touch the ECI (read not to on the forums).
Regards, P.
Pendragon
Rising Star

Just done a quick test from my laptop (Wireless) and results don't look so good from that.
1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
Download Speed
15.54 Mbps

0 Mbps 77.44 Mbps Max Achievable Speed
Download speedachieved during the test was - 15.54 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 40 Mbps-77.44 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 77.44 Mbps
2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.
Upload Speed
16.11 Mbps

0 Mbps 20 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 16.11Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps

This test was not conclusive and further testing is required.This might be useful for your Broadband Service Provider to investigate the fault.
Regards, P.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

You've answered my question, just as I was about to answer ask it.
Is wifi involved?
Given the description of your set up, the wifi is likely to be the slowest part of the infrastructure.
The TG can be tweaked to deliver much improved wifi performance - take a look here http://NPR.me.uk and look at the usual wifi improvement suggestions in the PN library.  Sorry I do not have a link to hand.
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

The line hasn't changed so it is likely it is due to the Plusnet system being out of balance - you can ignore the wireless result as that isn't relevant although a check when wired may be needed
You might like to check the Current Line Speed here https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed which should say 77.4Mbps
Pendragon
Rising Star

Yep, transfer speed is set at 77.4 and just done a wired connection test and everything seems back to normal, must  be like you said just things out of balance because of the weekend glitches.
Last result from speedtest.net (and also the BT tester gives almost the same result)
72.75 down, 18.96 up
I’ll log this as a baseline figure and keep an eye on things over the next week.
I’ll also check out the WiFi stuff and see if I can give that a bit of a kick.
Thanks for you input, regards, P.