cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Some noise on the line, Plus net have arranged for line to be reset. Any other advice?

adriang
Grafter

Some noise on the line, Plus net have arranged for line to be reset. Any other advice?

I have recently signed up once again to plus net I have been a customer for almost 10 years in various houses. As such a long standing customer I am always please with the level of support I receive. I am on the unlimited (contracted package).

Unfortunately my latest house sees a maximum possible line speed of 5Mbps, however checking via speedtest.BTwholesale I see they tell me it is a maximum of 2Mbps (with 1.94Mbps currently being hit).

Plus net support said they detected some noise on the line and have requested this be updated on the exchange. The real world impact on these speeds are unusable internet. I cannot stream netflix, websites are slow, Cannot download my PS4 updates etc;

I have already looked into and strongly considering fiber but before I do that is there anything else the community can recommend that may help improve this a little bit?

thanks

Estimated line speed:2Mb (Download speed could vary depending on line conditions. Estimates are the maximum speeds that your phone line can support. These speeds are dependent on the package you choose.) - Checked on 2017-12-12 23:47:00Current line speed:1.8 Mb

Nearest exchange is 3028 meters away

8 REPLIES 8
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

Re: Some noise on the line, Plus net have arranged for line to be reset. Any other advice?

As ever, the first question is what does the DSL Checker say for your line. Post a screen shot if you can.

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

Brian

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: Some noise on the line, Plus net have arranged for line to be reset. Any other advice?

At that distance from the exchange you are never going to get decent ADSL. What does https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/ say you can get on fibre? If it's half decent then it's got to be the way forward.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @adriang and thanks for getting in touch.

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing slow speed and noise on your phoneline.

When you spoke to one of my colleagues what was the outcome of the call? Did we book an engineer to investigate the issues you've reported? 

Thanks,

Dave

adriang
Grafter

Hi Sorry for my late reply I was on holiday for a few weeks.

In that time I actually went ahead and upgraded to unlimited Fibre (via chat with [CSA Removed] on Jan 11th) of which I have the full transcript. I was told estimated speed is 38 - 40Mbps. [CSA Removed] on Question 165152252 told me "your fibre order is going well and due to complete 18/01/18".

1/ Off topic slightly but I opened the package to find nothing different but a bigger router. Same internet cable and same microfilter. Very odd I thought wouldn't fibre be a different cable?

2/ On 22/01/18 I plugged everything in and got a blue bar. The first thing I did a speedtest. Peaked at 1.2Mbps. Has someone sent me the wrong type of router or what is going on why am I only getting 1.2Mbps?

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): CSA name(s) removed (to an area staff can see) as per Forum rules.

Mav
Fixes: 514

Moderator's note:

Thread now in the Fibre board as the OP has upgraded.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

runhare
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Hi there,

if you have switched to standard fibre broadband this uses the same cables as your previous adsl service. It's known as VDSL. The fibre  goes only as far as the green cabinet ,   This Is located somewhere between your home and the exchange and the broadband signal then feeds from the green ,cabinet through existing copper telephone network to your property. This service is known as fibre to the cabinet, or FTTC, but in a few places there are services using fibre to the premises ,  which is known as a FTTP. It does not sound as though FTTP is available in your area.

The latest routers which are supplied by plus net are capable of working on both standard ADSL  ano VDSL  connections. 

It sounds as though you're slow speeds are due to your service not actually having been switched over to VDSL and you are still connected via the ADSL system which will still work with your new router.

Contact plus net and raise a fault.  

From time to time mistakes are made by  the engineer swapping connections to fibre equipment within the green cabinet or sometimes your service is not actually and activated.  

good luck!

adriang
Grafter

Called Plus net and they said the 18th was a mistake and they apologised. Said the date of activation is now the 24th Jan so I should reboot my router the morning of the 25th and hopefully the fibre will then be active.

Guess I have to wait but thanks for the confirmation the cables were ok

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

@adriang

Thanks very much for the update. I'm sorry to hear that your fibre was delayed but I'm pleased that you now have a definitive answer on when your service will go live.

Please let us know how you get on once Thursday comes around and give us a shout if you need anything.

Best Wishes,

Dave