cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Some information before fibre instalation.

MUFFiN
Grafter

Some information before fibre instalation.

Hello there,
I am due to have my fibre installed on Wednesday (22nd of April) but I have got a few things that I would like to ask before the engineer comes.
When I ordered my fibre, I also ordered a "extension cable" with it because the only telephone socket that is in my house is awkwardly positioned at the front door where there is no source of power. I currently run a telephone extension lead along the hall & up the stairs in to the room where my computer is for purposes of having a wired connection. That wire running up the stairs in so annoying. Is it possible that the engineer could install another telephone socket in the computer room so that we can do without annoying wires everywhere?
If the engineer will not do it on the day of my fibre installation, do plusnet offer engineers to install a new socket (in another room) on another date, if so, how much do this cost & where can I order it from?
I am a keen gamer & also help run youtube channel so moving from the standard broadband with our current ISP where our upload speed is less than 1Mbps is super exciting, hopefully no more waiting for hours to upload small video files. I have not yet saw our estimated upload speed, however when signing up I saw that it was advertised as "Up to 19.5Mb upload speeds" - Is it possible to find this out?? Using the following link I get told my estimated line speed (as quoted below) but nothing about my upload speed.
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
Estimated line speed:
    40Mb (Download speed could vary depending on line conditions. Estimates are the maximum speeds that your phone line can support. These speeds are dependent on the package you choose.) - Checked on 2015-04-08 11:37:14
Current line speed:
    Not set

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
7 REPLIES 7
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

Re: Some information before fibre instalation.

A lot will depend on the mood of the engineer. Be extra kind to him & offer him food, tea, coffee in vast quantities!!
Prior to my upgrade I'd had a fault. I told the engineer attending the fault that I was going to order fibre in 6 weeks time when it went live but I wanted a line into the upstairs study. He kindly ran an additional line in from the box in the garage & installed the updated socket. Smiley
PeterLoftus
Pro
Fixes: 5

There are other posts where the customer has run a concealed cable and the OR installer has used that. If left to their own devices the extension cable will be surface run similar to your phone cable  Smiley
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

As peter says, the installer will only run cable on the surface. However, the extension cable will be a twisted pair cable, which has better noise immunity than a flat cable. It is likely that the existing extension cable is flat and not twisted pair (though you would have to check to confirm). So it would potentially be a better quality cable than the existing one.
However - many installers on seeing that you already have a cable to where the modem is going to be, will say "that cable will be fine". And it may be fine, but twisted pair is "finer"!
You could run your own cable, but that is not always easy or possible. If you do, use a twisted pair cable (I doubt you have time if the install is this week).
MUFFiN
Grafter

Ok guys thanks for the answers so far, I will try to be nice to the engineer in case he is in the mood for putting a new telephone socket into my computer room but won't hold my breath on him doing it.
Is it possible to order an PlusNet/BT engineer in future to install a new box though?Huh
I will also remove the current extension cable before he arrives so that I won't need to argue with him over it.
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

If you remove the extension before he/she arrives, he/she should use the supplied data extension kit that comes with a new box already (RJ11 box). So you hopefully should not need another visit. Remember, the extension they bring is a maximum of 30 metres, which I assume is enough for your application.
It might be worth removing the box at the end of that extension cable as well (in computer room) before he/she arrives. That guarantees he/she uses the new box (which is included in your installation costs anyway).
As to whether it is possible to get an engineer out to that job separately, I don't know, but you would think so (not sure of the cost, won't be minimal though).
I think that the VDSL extension kit comes with an RJ11 plug on one end. The idea being that the RJ11 plugs into the top socket of your new MK3 master socket, and the other end (in the computer room), is run into the RJ11 line box.
It would be neater (and better), if the installer connects the wires directly into the AB terminals of the master socket, rather than have the RJ11 plug connected in there. It just looks nicer than having a plug sticking out.
If you supply extra tea and biscuits, you could ask the installer's thoughts on that.
deathtrap
Grafter

And if you are a gamer then ask him for a huawei modem , because if your connected to a Huawei cabinet in the street  then you may get G.inp enabled on your connection, and the ECI doesn't support G.inp  hence the reduction in sync and higher latency
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

For the record as well your upload speed should be in the region of 14 to 20mbps.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team