Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Some Questions on Fibre

BenG
Grafter

Some Questions on Fibre

Hello,
I been with plus net now for years and am on Unlimited boardband but someone said that Fibre is much faster so I was thinking  of maybe going fibe with plusnet.
But how can I tell if I can get it were I live. also what is Fibre is there anything special I need to buy cos I not long brought a netgrear router wireless router. can I use that,
also is it easy for me to chnage my exsiting package to a new fibre one.
Thanks.
8 REPLIES 8
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Some Questions on Fibre

First off put your phone number in here https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html
You're looking for something like this...
FTTC Range A (Clean) 80 70.5 20 20 -- Available
FTTC Range B (Impacted) 80 66.3 20 19 -- Available

Albeit with different numbers maybe.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

Or if you're really lucky, maybe this;
WBC FTTP Up to 330 Up to 30 -- Available

CJC1942
Grafter

Hi BenG
You may well see the figures in Strats table.
Then, if your experience is anything like mine, when Plusnet accept your order the lowest download figure  {FTTC  Range B (Impacted)    80    66.3}  i.e the 66.3 in the example, will have been approximately halved and you will read something like "the estimated speed for your line will be 30.00meg".
So they are indicating they may not be able to deliver even half the speed you are expecting.
When your product is installed you will probably not even get that speed.
No doubt you will contact Plusnet and be told to wait for the "magic" 10 days settling period. Now your problems will really begin.
On the other hand you may be one of the lucky ones and actually get something like you ordered, and I may see a flying pig!
CJC1942

MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

FTTC Range A (Clean) 80 73.4 20 20 -- Available
FTTC Range B (Impacted) 80 69.6 20 19 -- Available

WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 19.5 -- 16.5 to 21.5 Available
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex M Up to 19.5 Up to 1.5 16.5 to 21.5 Available
ADSL Max Up to 7.5 -- 6.5 to 8 Available
WBC Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available
Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available

Hope you don't mind this OP.
It will depend on your model of router, though we can send you a router out just for P+P if you like.
Matty
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
BenG
Grafter

Thanks for the info I did a test with my number and got the results.
FTTC Range A (Clean) 80 73.4 20 20 -- Available
FTTC Range B (Impacted) 80 69.6 20 19 -- Available

if I do a need a new router then I think I get it from plusnet as I do not know much about routers.
runhare
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

hI Ben G
PN supply a BT branded fibre modem  free of charge when the engineer installs the service.  You will probably need this . They also send  free of charge a rather crummy combined router / wifi acces point as well, which plugs into the modem . It s a SAGECOM branded thing and is not very good. Postage costs £5.99 I think .  However, it  is already set up to work on your connection and you don't have to do any setting up or tinker with it. It works out of the box. . 
Depending on which Netgear router device you have you might be able to use it instead of the PN supplied router, but you would need to set it up to work with PPPoE and log it into the PN network with your user name and password .
BenG
Grafter

Thank you very much for the info guys very helpfull.
When makeing the switch is it just as easy as chnageing my exsiting product, will it be on the on the next time I pay my monthly bill
Thanks agian for the info

PeterLoftus
Pro
Fixes: 5

What happened when I switched was an engineer attended. He changed the socket to a Mk3 I think it was which has an inbuilt filter suitable for the fibre.
Then he has to change some jumpers at the cabinet He should check your line as well before he leaves. He brings a new fibre modem with him and you receive a router from PN in the mail.  Smiley
It's all over in an hour and that's you switched to fibre. Your billing will alter when BTOR tell PN the work is complete
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra