Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Socket placement

CL01
Grafter

Socket placement

Hey there,
As you may have guessed, I'm thinking of ordering fibre. The only problem is that my master socket is placed really badly and I don't want to have wires running round the house. My question is does the socket have to be in the master socket or could we use one of the other sockets. This is just because the socket that I want to use is not a master socket but is placed in a much more convenient place. Thanks in advance, epic.
8 REPLIES 8
bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

Re: Socket placement

A friend telephoned Plusnet last week on the same subject and to cut a long story short, PN told them they would not move the master socket.  They would only lay an extension cable.

See this recently posted thread
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,133532.0.html
It is probably very much down to whether the visiting engineer is prepared to re-use the wiring in your home.  It may be less work for the engineer to use your wiring than installing a new extension cable.    Tea and biscuits may help.
Be warned that if your existing wiring is not good enough in condition and quality, it may degrade your fibre speeds too.

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

Hi when ordering fibre you have the option for a Data extension kit this allows the engineer to install the modem up to 30 meters away from the master socket it has all the cabling etc would be a much better choice as it's all official BT grade and wont degrade the quality that other extension kits may.
ArthurDent
Grafter

Yes, like the OP I delayed installing fibre (for far too long) because the master socket was/is in a ludicrous position. Couldn't even conveniently connect a phone so I had done a lash-up. It worked for phone and ADSL, although still a pain in the proverbial whenever PN asked me to connect my desktop to the master socket for test purposes.
But I knew BT wouldn't consider using it for fibre. So when I did gird up my loins and contract for FTTC, I ordered one of those extension cables. However apparently that message never got through from PN to BT. But, and here's the point, when the BT contracted engineer arrived (on time) he made up a cable to BT spec. OK, it was less than 10m, but he installed it very unobtrusively, including round a door frame. It works fine, and I'm not even aware of it now. Good job!
Perhaps I did the right thing for once, offering the decent BT guy not only the usual cup of tea/coffee but also use of the biscuit tin.

MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Hi epic,
The above experiences all sound about right.
My suggestion is to make use of the free extension cabling (30m CAT5e cable).
Matty
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
mrunderhill
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Here's my 2 pence worth:
When I had fibre installed 4 years ago my master socket was in my lounge and my extension was in my spare bedroom upstairs.
I asked if he could swap over the master socket with the extension socket.  He said he could IF the cable had enough wires to go from the master socket to the extension and back again.
It did have enough wires, and he said he would prefer to do the swap over rather than install the data cable kit.
A plate of biscuits with his tea seemed to help his decision.
My speed when I was on Fibre Extra with TT was 55 Mbps down and 15 Mbps up
ADSL Checker says:
                                    High Low High Low
FTTC Range A (Clean) 60.4 43     16.8 10.6
FTTC Range B Impact. 51.2 29.8 16.8 7.7
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Let's hope your engineer isn't diabetic  Grin
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
CL01
Grafter

Thanks for all your replies. My master socket is next to my front door. I think the house was built in the 20s or something but I think this is so that there could be a phone right next to the door. We had and extension in the living room and one in my parents bedroom. We moved the socket from my parents room into my room so that I could have a solid wired connection in my room where I do gaming and a few videos for youtube. However, I learned from my dad that the phone line comes in at another bedroom just next to my room. We think if there was some way of having the master connection in there, my dad would be happier because then the wires would only be going from the little bedroom to my bedroom. Or even better we could have the connection routed into my room and have it where my socket is at the moment. It would take a lot of work but it could be the best thing to do. I will draw a rough diagram to show you what I mean a little bit clearer.
PeterLoftus
Pro
Fixes: 5

@epicambo121 we have recently upgraded to fibre and used to have a1980s installation which sounded similar to yours  Embarrassed
The lot was ripped out and now we have a brand new mk3 socket with one extension for a fax in the office.
When fax/telephone extensions are connected into a proper master socket they disconnect on removal of the faceplate for testing the line
Most people now have DECT phones which only need one phone line making all the wired extensions obsolete
Smiley
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra