Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So what happen at 1.30am? Line speed reset

idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

So what happen at 1.30am? Line speed reset

I had been on a 78mb line speed for months but a couple of months ago I made a mistake disconnecting the power to the modem, which resulted in a line speed of 68Mb being set. Couple of weeks ago, the line speed was reset back up to 77Mb and things have been going along fine. This evening ran a speed test to find I'm down at around 60Mb. Looking up my latest BQM I see I had a packet loss at about 1.30am (no power cut here - ignore the 8pm one, that was me) and my line speed on Plusnet has been set to 65Mb. What gives?

Last week's speedtest Tonight's speedtest

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
5 REPLIES 5
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: So what happen at 1.30am? Line speed reset

Hi there,

I can see you did get disconnected at approximately 1.30am which is why tour BQM will have seen that as packet loss.

We can't identify the cause of a single instance of disconnection bit if any issues with that continue we;d be able to investigate the matter as a fault for you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

Seem to be on a downwards path. Even the thinkbroadband test was well down on normal.

The BT test didn't come out any better. What does surprise me is that DLM seems to react to one single dropout. I'd have thought it would have been better set up i.e. several drop outs/errors over several days and then carry out an adjustment. The first adjustment seems to be around 12Mb as a norm.  

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
victorhoy
Dabbler

You are not the only one, my normal 74Mb download is now at 36 and the ip profile is at 38.4. After 18 months of no problems this happens and pn says there is no fault. Jumping ship now.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

idonno

Sorry to see that, diagnostics show me that speeds have dropped further and well below the estimate for your linehttps://www.plus.net/help/broadband/connection-troubleshooting/

Thanks for reporting a fault with us, it's evident that the speeds you're seeing are very different to what diagnostics tests we run are showing.

Have you been connecting to the router over a wireless or a wired connection when you've tested this out?

let me know and I'll follow things up with you to make sure we're doing all we can to help.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Andrue
Pro
Fixes: 1

@idonno wrote:

What does surprise me is that DLM seems to react to one single dropout.

The openreach FTTC DLM does not just react to drop-outs. It also reacts to the error count. Your line can stay connected 24/7/52 but if it's getting a lot of errors DLM will intervene.