cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So what changed with my fibre connection ?

St3
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 5

So what changed with my fibre connection ?

When i first got fibre over 2 years ago i was on 76/20 and getting around 74/19 ....... then after 8 months my connection dropped to around 64/19 when i contacted plusnet i was told from now on my line speed would only be 65/19.

So for a long while ive had around 65/19 ...... but ive just noticed in the last hour that im almost hitting 70/19 again...

Ive not touched anything on my side, so whats changed Smiley and is this new change here to stay ?

Im not complaining of course, its a nice suprise to see things picking up again.

7 REPLIES 7
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: So what changed with my fibre connection ?

Lines can fluctuate based on the conditions identified by the DLM equipment, good to see it's increased again for you.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
St3
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 5

Thanks fair comment

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Are you able to see the noise margin @St3? There are trials of a 3dB target margin taking place in some areas.
Gregg
Grafter

They have since applied new profiles for 80/20 and 40/20, argubly the new profiles are 65/15 and 35/2. This way they can take the available bandwidth that they were previously paying for from their providers and divide it up even further. We probably went from a 50/1 ratio down to a 500/1 ratio. Only people that actually know a lot about IT and depend on the bandwidth for work would have noticed.

Unfortunately looking at all the reports since the change in profiles occurred. I can't see any evidence that they are still offering a 80/20 service, even though all the ISP are still charging for it. We found out that basically the wholesaler sets the prices and the retail ISP just suck it up and make the money.

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

The wholesale services we purchase are 80/20 and 40/2 for new customers. There is no option for 65/15 or 35/2, I'm afraid that I can't see that your post is correct.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Andrue
Pro
Fixes: 1

@Gregg wrote:

They have since applied new profiles for 80/20 and 40/20, argubly the new profiles are 65/15 and 35/2.

Where are these profiles being applied? They don't exist at the wholesale level nor do they exist at the GEA level.

We probably went from a 50/1 ratio down to a 500/1 ratio.

Overall contention ratios have been irrelevant since rate adaptive DSL first appeared well over a decade ago. Contention at a specific node can be calculated but network designers rarely bother. All they care about these days is percantile usage - how busy does the node get, for how long and at what times. It is meaningless to refer to contention ratios the way you are. In any case no-one would ever use 50:1. That would be guaranteed to cause issues. What they would use is 500:10 or 5000:100.

But if a 'profile' has been reduced as you suggest then it would have the effect of improving contention. Same amount of network bandwidth, less end-user bandwidth = better contention ratio.

Only people that actually know a lot about IT and depend on the bandwidth for work would have noticed.

Everyone who frequently runs speed tests would have noticed. I am continuing to get 67/18.5 (pretty much whenever I test it including peak hours) from my line just as I was all last year.

I can't see any evidence that they are still offering a 80/20 service, even though all the ISP are still charging for it. We found out that basically the wholesaler sets the prices and the retail ISP just suck it up and make the money.

AAISP would have noticed. If they place an order for an 80/20 provision that's what they expect to get. They also use two providers (Talk Talk as well as BTw) so could fairly easily set a test up to verify if BT was doing something underhand. And AAISP have a proven track record of beating BT up over its services.

As it stands your post makes little sense to me. If you can provide links to anything that backs up your claims I'll be very interested to read it but without that your post seems to me to be nonsense.

Ronski
Rising Star

Gregg is talking complete rubbish, the most likely reason for the OP's increase in speed is their main disturber/cross talker has turned off their modem. Broadband telephone lines running next to each other cause interference, and this will cause errors and the speed to decrease.