cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Snr margin

Wulberto
Dabbler

Snr margin

Hi there, is any mods available to help me? I was wanting my snr margin reduced it's currently 15bd, I had bt before and noticed its was roughly 23db. I suffered terrible gaming lag, this had has got slightly better with plusnet but it's still not great at all. The only thing I can imagine causing it is the snr becoause everything is is fine stats wise apart from the snr margin, strong signal good device. TBH I was told it wouldn't make any difference when I requested it to be lowered  because my speeds are fast but there's something causing lag and I'd rather try this to see if it resolves the problem even if it meant random disconnects.  Any help would be appreciated.

8 REPLIES 8
Mav
Fixes: 515

Re: Snr margin

@Wulberto

Moderators are customers just like yourself with no access to Plusnet systems. A member of staff will likely pick this up Monday.

Meanwhile I have moved this to the Fibre forum assuming that is correct but if you are on ASDL then please post back here and it will be moved to the correct forum.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

What speed is your line currently connected at?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

If it's currently connected at the maximum possible speed for the service (40/2 or 80/20), then a higher SNR margin is better.

Wulberto
Dabbler

It's fibre extra, it's round about 75mbps. I still seem to lag in  online gaming if the server is pretty far away. I had bt before and the lag was worse but the snr was also higher on bt and since it's been lowered a bit with plusnet the lag isn't as severe, that had me thinking maybe this could be the cause but I'm really all that clued up tbh I just don't think I should be lagging as much with the speed I get.

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Lag isn't really about the raw speed, it's about the latency (ping) that you get. Can you try pinging the game server you're connecting to and see what results you get?

To do this open a command prompt and type in ping SERVERADDRESS

eg

ping bbc.co.uk

Also it may help to know which game you're playing.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Wulberto
Dabbler

When I use Speedtest app my ping to the best server from Glasgow to Douglas is 28m. That's on my iPad I don't really use a pc or laptop.  I've tried using a eh bt wifi hotspot adaptor thing I had in case it was just the wifi signal strength and it makes no difference. It just seems like my signal isn't consistant when online gaming it can work ok one minute n the next it's just lag stuttering gamepley and terrible hit marker detection. It's an iPad game but friends play the same game and there's is fine no lag.  I even bought an Ethernet adaptor so I could wire my iPad directly into Ethernet and it was still the same.  I use iPad Pro so I know it's not my devices either.

Wulberto
Dabbler

I bought a cheap android tablet I could post some screen shots from the wifi analyser I don't really know how to read it properly, maybe you can see if it looks the way it should. 

Wulberto
Dabbler

for some reason you can't get this games IP address to ping it I've actually requested it and they refuse saying they can't for security reasons.i asked to try set up port forwarding to try that.