Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Small but noticable speed drop

FIXED
Smeghead2

Small but noticable speed drop

Hello,

I had my internet drop out a couple of days ago and had to reset my router. Since then my internet speed has suffered a small,  but noticable speed drop. It was at 54-55 Mbps, but now maxes out at 47.

I've checked my line details on my account page, which says "Minimum Guaranteed Speed of 55mbps", but then "Current Line Speed 48mbps".

It's not that significant, but if I can get my extra 7-8 mb back I'd like to.

Thanks,

Smeghead

9 REPLIES 9
RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Re: Small but noticable speed drop

Hi @Smeghead2

I've just reset your line profile which should resolve this.

Give it a few days and let us know how you get on with a wired speed test.

Thanks

Dave

Smeghead2

Hi Dave,

I've given it a week now, and it's not made any difference. I am getting 49mbps now, which is 2mbps more, but not my usual 53-55.

During the week when you reset my line the broadband page on plusnet stated my download speed would be 72, but I was still only getting 47.on Fast.com via a wired connection from the master socket, even with a reset router.

If you've got any other ideas, please let me know.

Thanks,

Smeghead

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Fix

Thanks for getting back to us @Smeghead2 

Upon further investigation I can your sync speed is artificially restricted by the DLM(Dynamic Line Management) software to 55mbps so I've arranged for a DLM reset to be carried out and should go through within 3 working days.

The change that @RandallFlagg made to a particular profile wouldn't have had any affect, because you don't have a static IP. Basically there's a profile on an account that should always match the IP profile/sync speed of a line but if it's set below this and you have a static IP it'll restrict your download speed due to how we route connections with statics across our network.

Can you let us know how your speed looks by Friday?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Stoker
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Exactly the same thing happened to me recently.

We had a line fault a few weeks ago (no dialtone). This was repaired by reterminating at the cabinet, and my modem sync speed went back to normal (77mbps) but various speed tests still barely reach 60mbps; previously I was getting low/mid 70 mbps.

Plusnet arranged an engineer visit but he found no faults. He says they only go by sync speed (OK) so a DLM reset wouldn't help. (Ticket #198455420).

What downstream benchmark speed test results should I expect given modem sync:

Bearer: 0, Upstream rate = 20000 Kbps, Downstream rate = 77612 Kbps

(Hardwired to router, wifi disabled, no internal wiring, new 5C master socket etc)

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Now this is the perfect example of a somebody who looks to be capped by us, thanks for your post @Stoker I've increased a profile on your account which should improve your download speed. 

Although our tests are showing your line in sync at 73.7mbps with a real time test showing the sync speed at 74.9mbps and the bRAS profile rate at 70mbps. Can you post up your full router stats so we can advise further?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Stoker
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Thanks - I've added my modem stats to my open ticket. I didn't intend to comandeer this thread, just wondered if the Plusnet system automatically lowers speed profile when there's a problem but unlike DLM doesn't want to increase it once the line fault is resolved.

(And if anything my benchmarks are a tad slower now !)

ps I do have a static IP.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No problem @Stoker I've just added a reply to your ticket now. It is certainly odd and the speed profile on your account should always match the sync speed of a line but yesterday in one of the 'delta report' updates we received from our suppliers it changed to 65mbps which ties in to the max achievable speed you're seeing on a BT speed test.

edit - although it's odd that once I increased that profile you're still seeing a max achievable of 65mbps

We could try arranging another engineer and escalate this as a throughput issue with Openreach, at the very least the engineer should be able to call the diagnostics team to ensure there's no profile mismatch on their end.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Smeghead2

Hi,

Problem solved. I've got my normal speeds back again.

Thank you for all your help

Smeghead

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Excellent! Thanks for confirming, let us know if there's anything else you'd need help with. Smiley

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet