Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slower with new contract

Mlewis
Grafter

Slower with new contract

I am at the end of my contract, if I renew, I get the following speed "offer"

Your current package

Unlimited Fibre Extra(includes Line Rental)
38 - 42Mbdownload speed(estimated)

However, if I use your site to estimate the speed of a new connection with my neighbours address (house physically linked to mine, and I can't check my own property on your site as it knows I am already with you) I get:

46 - 60Mb estimated download speed

15 - 18Mb estimated upload speed

Minimum Guaranteed Speed 42.4Mb

Why is it as an existing, and long term customer (I've been with plusnet for over 10 years) am I getting a slower speed than is offered to my neighbour?!

As an aside, if I check on uSwitch, NowTV Broadband is even quicker! 50 - 65Mb, with minimum guaranteed speed of 45.4Mb
40 REPLIES 40
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 255

Re: Slower with new contract

@Mlewis What do you get if you enter you phone number in here?  BT Broadband (a screenshot, with your phone number obscured, is preferable).

John
Mlewis
Grafter

Baldrick1
Fixes: 420

@Mlewis 

If you renew your current contract your current speed will be unchanged. All these speeds that you are quoting are estimates, they will all use the same Openreach infrastructure. What speed does your neighbour actually get when doing a speed test and how does it compare with yours when using the same test site? If there’s a significant difference then come back for further advice.

There’s no conspiracy involving your speed being reduced because you’ve been a customer for 10 years.

Edit

Having seen your latest postthat crossed with mine it looks like you have a fault on your line.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Mlewis
Grafter

I should add, I have a history of speed issues with Plusnet. My initial connection speed was over 70Mbps. This dropped a couple of years later to around 55Mbps (when they "fixed" a fault!). And it's been getting steadily slower since.

jab1
Legend

I agree with @Baldrick1 , and the screenshot you have provided is a little strange - more than half the information is missing!

John
Mlewis
Grafter

@Baldrick1 You say there's no conspiracy. so why is my connection getting slowly but surely slower?

When I started my current contract 18 months ago, I was getting 52ish Mbps with a guaranteed speed of 44Mpbs. This is now significantly lower....

Baldrick1
Fixes: 420

@Mlewis 

For a myriad of reasons, with your conspiracy theory right at the bottom. Report a fault at https://faults.plus.net.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

jab1
Legend

Now we have the corrected BTW screenshot, it appears you have an impacted line - I would agree with @Baldrick1 that you need to report a fault.

John
adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Really sorry for the issues that you're having here @Mlewis

It looks like we've identified a fault on the phone (WLR) network, which is now under investigation. Just a side note as well, since we changed the way that we calculate your speeds towards the end of last year, they're going to change on your member centre, depending on the sync speed of the line at current time. Don't get me wrong, I don't like it, and will always refer to the speeds which your line is supposed to achieve as per the availability checker, it's just something to note for now. I have raised this, as I feel that the speeds you see on your Member Centre should reflect those which your line SHOULD achieve, as opposed to the line speed at the current moment in time, regardless of whether there's a fault on the line.

Anyway,, we should have your fault both addressed and resolved within the next 72 working hours, please feel free to give us a nudge if your service has not improved. You can both view and respond to the open ticket here.

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
Mlewis
Grafter

Just an update....

Openreach have been out and fixed an issue. Attached is the new BTW screengrab.

My upgrade offer is showing a little better, but it's still around 10Mbps less than other providers are showing... and currently I'm only getting 35Mbps download real-world speed (router shows line speed is around 55Mbps, I know real-world download speed will be 5 - 10Mbps below this as it's a theoretical best-case).

So, sadly, it looks like I'll be leaving plusnet.

Thanks to everyone for their comments/help

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Switching provider, especially to another provider who use the Openreach network is not going to help here. Issues remain on the line, not least a Bridge Tap which my tests have picked up this afternoon. A Bridge Tap is detected when there are defects with the internal connections, or with the wiring around the perimeter of the property.

do you use any extension sockets / cables at all? Are you able to plug your router into the test socket, which lies behind the faceplate of your master socket?

I've also increase your connection profile on our end, which was capping you at around 35Mbps, despite the sync speed being 55.6 Mbps, so you should see this increase on your end shortly.

KBD
GEA Test Detail
Circuit ID NA Service ID  

Test Outcome Pass
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0000
Description GEA service test completed and no fault found .
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 55.6 Mbps
Upstream Speed 18.4 Mbps
Appointment Required N
Fault Report Advised N
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Pass
Bridge Tap Detected
Radio Frequency Ingress Not Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Cross Talk Not Detected
Estimated Line Length In Metres 420.2
Upstream Rate Assessment Low
Downstream Rate Assessment Low
Interference Pattern Regular Interference Observed Daily
Service Impact Errors Observed
Interference Duration Longest Occurrence From05:15to07:15
Interference Location Customer Premise
Interference Observed In Days 2
Home Wiring Problem Not Detected
Downstream Policing Discard Rate 0.0
Customer Traffic Level Upstream and Downstream traffic detected
Technology VDSL
DP Type External
Profile Name 0.128M-80M Downstream, Interleaving High - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Error Protection Off
Time Stamp 2022-02-04T05:00:00
Parameters MIN MAX AVG
Down Stream Line Rate 55.3 Mbps 55.5 Mbps 55.5 Mbps
Up Stream Line Rate 18.1 Mbps 18.3 Mbps 18.3 Mbps
Up Time 811.0 Sec 900.0 Sec 899.2 Sec
Retrains 0.0 3.0 0.0
 Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
Mlewis
Grafter

Hi,

Well my next question is why was my connection capped? Sure enough, now you've removed that I'm getting 51.5Mpbs... that's the fastest it's been for several months... Last time I got capped for no reason, it took 6 weeks to get it sorted - the only reason I didn't leave then was because of how long I'd been with you previously and this was the first real issue I'd had that wasn't an OpenReach/physical cabling issue.

In answer to your questions, There are no extensions, my router is plugged directly into the master socket. I can plug it in to the test socket. Also the cable on the perimeter of the property is new as of about 6 - 8 months ago, which was put in to stop an issue with frequent disconnects.

Cheers

Mlewis
Grafter

Looks like I spoke too soon. Disconnected in the small hours, reconnected at 52Mbps and real-speed I'm now getting is 44 - 45Mbps. Oh well, the speed was nice for the two days it lasted....

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,601

Hi @Mlewis

I'm really sorry to see you're having speed issues.

Each time your connection drops your modem can negotiate a new speed with the equipment at the cabinet, which in turn changes the supplier IP profile that's generally between 90 to 96 % of the sync speed. 

On our side, there's a second profile which should automatically match the IP profile, but sometimes it can be slow to adjust and if it's set under this then it can cap your speed. All Adam's done is manually increase it. 

The crux of the issue is that your connection's dropping, so I'd recommend we focus on that as once your connection's stopped dropping, your modem should then be able to hold a stable, and hopefully good, speed.

I've tested your line and the tests are still showing a bridge tap and as we've arranged Openreach engineers in the past who haven't been able to resolve, I'd like to arrange a Qube engineer visit to investigate further. 

Can you reply to the ticket I've logged on your account Here with when you'll be available for a visit? If you can post back once you've responded, I'll make sure we book the engineer as soon as we can for you. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet