Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slower speeds

Waqas
Hooked

Slower speeds

Hi, 

Just a concern i have - when i signed up for plusnet, the packages were advertised as up to 70mb and 19mb upload which is awesome but for some reason now when i check my download speed i'm averaging around half that download speed and upload speed.

We have many devices which connect to the internet and the speed that i currently have doesn't seem to be enough for gaming or streaming. For example if i download a game, and watch a youtube video the youtube video will always stutter or not load.

Also when checking other packages i see that the initial package that i signed up for no longer exists. Instead there is an up to 66mb package. Could that have effected my speed in any way? 

I feel like i'm paying an enormous amount for a slow speed. 

As you can see from the screenshot i am getting half the download speed from what was originally advertised, and the upload speed isn't too bad but a bit lower also.

Can you please investigate what might be causing this issue.

Thanks.

9 REPLIES 9
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Re: Slower speeds

@Waqas

Welcome to the forums.

First to answer the "advertised speeds". Those were just that, the speeds that the advertisers were allowed to use.

The old "Up to 70mb" has been banned as it only applied to 10% of the Plusnet customers, it wasn't what you personally would get. Hence the words "UP TO".

Now Plusnet must show the average speed across ALL PLUSNET CUSTOMERS. Again it isn't directly aimed at your connection.

More details can be found at https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2018/04/get-ready-for-average-speeds-in-uk-broadband-isp-adver...

So the speeds have no link to your contract so Plusnet haven;t changed anything to make your line slower or changed your broadband package.

Now to the lower speeds. Plusnet will ask you to tun some checks so you may as well get a head start.

First you need to check for a telephone fault as that does slow down broadband.  Information on what to do is at https://www.plus.net/help/phone/phone-line-troubleshooting/ (assuming Plusnet supply your phone line). If there is an issue, get that fixed and the broadband problem may go away. Don't mention broadband if you log a phone fault as it just confuses things.

If the phone line is okay or it doesn't fix the issue, then follow the guide at https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/connection-troubleshooting/

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Sorry to hear you've been having issues with your download speeds.

I can see that when you signed up we gave you a estimate of 49 to 72mbps which your line is currently performing below.

Our tests aren't showing any cause for this so I'd recommend raising a fault here so we can investigate further.

If you can let us know when you've done this we'll get that picked up

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Waqas
Hooked

Hi Matthew,

Thanks for the reply, i tried to raise a fault however i keep getting this error message. 

The page takes 20 seconds to load - i have tried 3 times now.

please see attached

Waqas
Hooked

i called in waited 15 minutes on hold, had one person finally answer the call, and he says he is going to check my line and then hangs up. Lovely.

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi Waqas,

Thanks for coming back to us. My apologies that you were disconnected during the line test - I can see that my colleague did try to contact you afterwards but was unable to reach you.

The speed of your connection is still the same as you've observed. If rebooting your router has not resolved the issue, I would recommend picking the fault back up - I can see from our system that starting this process was successful at least once. Just to confirm, the correct link for continuing to raise your fault is here. My apologies that this appears to have been missing from my colleagues previous post.

Best wishes

Dave

Waqas
Hooked

i'm still getting slower speeds - thanks for the link i have done the tests and submitted the ticket.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Thanks for raising the fault.

If you've tried the steps Here including trying a different modem/router, to progress the fault, we'd need to arrange an engineer visit. I'd recommend replying to this ticket with your availability, giving us a nudge over here when you've done so and we'll be happy to pick it up.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Waqas
Hooked

Hey Gandalf, 

I called in a while ago and the nice lady i spoke to said i should test the connection with a micro filter? she said it would normally take 3-5 days to arrive but it should be there in one working day. It didn't arrive. The next best thing i can do is change my router and test the speed again - should i call you so you can run your tests again when i plug in the new router?

Thanks.

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi @Waqas

If you have done the steps in the ticket that @Gandalf left on your account, then I would advise on reply to it with the availability for an engineer visit. 

Thanks, 

MoR