Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slower speeds than usual

pablogaralv
Dabbler

Slower speeds than usual

Hello there,
for the past 2 weeks I've been getting 10Mbps less than usual. I got 38Mb Fibre with PlusNet on June 2015, and was stable since then every time I run a speed test.
However, the past 2 weeks I've been getting 28Mbps. Nothing changed on my side. Not a single piece of hardware. Neither software, plus I run the tests on several different devices such as Desktop with Windows, Desktop with Linux, Android phone, Android tablet, etc. Can't get more than 28Mbps.
I was wondering if it was maintenance, and I checked PlusNet Service Status page several times, but never found any maintenance-related jobs near my area (Stamford Hill, London)...
Also restarted the router (not the OpenReach modem) a few times (not more than twice per day), but that didn't help either.
I am not downloading anything during the tests (not Torrent, not P2P, nothing).
Please advise?
Many thanks Smiley
10 REPLIES 10
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Slower speeds than usual

Hi there,
I've tested the line and it's reporting a potential issue in the network, can you run through the faults checker at https://faults.plus.net and we'll get this picked up and looked into.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
pablogaralv
Dabbler

I am at work at the moment.
Will update as soon as I get back home this evening and update the post.
Thank you so much, and very quick and prompt response. I really appreciate it.
pablogaralv
Dabbler

Got home and filled in the survey and run those tests...nothing new.
Still having the problem.
Took a couple of screenshots: Capture1.png is from the speedtest indicated, with my DSL user, and Capture2.png is from the speedtest with speedtest@speedtest_domain DSL user.
Those screenshots say that my theoretical limit is 30Mbps, but I run those tests before and got up to 38Mbps or very close (like 36 or 37). Now I am getting 28Mbps...Despite saying that's the theoretical maximum value, it says at the bottom (Capture2.png) that my service is "performing poorly", which indicates something.
Thanks for looking into this.
pablogaralv
Dabbler

An engineer just called me to inform that he checked the oustide of the building part of the installation and everything seems normal. They now have to arrange a visit to check the installation in my flat.
I am still very surprised this happened from 1 week to another without me modifying a single bit of the set up... meh...
pablogaralv
Dabbler

It's been a couple of days and no one from Plus Net called me yet...
Any member of the Plus Net staff that can update me on this please?
pablogaralv
Dabbler

Engineer came to my house today.
1st: the first engineer who installed my line initially, did it wrong. Using an extension socket instead of the master one. So today, this engineer switched me over to the master socket. He was receiving a peak of 72Mb/s after few tests. I get roughly 35Mb/s tonight. I know it'll take up to 10 days to stabilise, so I'll wait. I paid for 38Mb/s and if he got 72 max I don't see a reason for me not to get 38.
2nd: he told me that I didn't have to change my set up a single bit in order to lose those 10Mb/s I was complaining about. He referred to more neighbours getting fibre and that that could affect my fibre. I didn't know about this but...well..I think I have to believe as I don't have other choice...do I?
So, basically, changing my set up to use the master socket seemed to have fixed the issue, however I'll keep an eye on the speedtests on BT Speedtest daily, to ensure I get those 38Mb because now I know I can get them, basically.
Thanks for your help.
scottymc
Grafter

Hi buddy
When you do your speed tests only do them over Ethernet..... WiFi can give unpredictable results and mobile devices are even worse...
pablogaralv
Dabbler

I *ALWAYS* do my network speeds over ethernet, and on several machines not just one.
Smiley
Thanks though
scottymc
Grafter

Oh sorry
it's just you said androidphone/tablet....
But glad your problem has been resolved...
pablogaralv
Dabbler

That is correct, but with an ethernet adaptor through the microUSB port Smiley
Thanks
PS: last night's test gave me 35Mb/s...