cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slower speeds after upgrade to Fibre extra

paulmat

Slower speeds after upgrade to Fibre extra

I've recently upgraded from Unlimited Fibre to Unlimited Fibre Extra and am receiving slower speeds now than I was before.

I had previously been getting pretty consistent download speeds of 33.5 - 35.5mbps from speedtests taken throughout December. Since the upgrade I am now getting 30-31mbps - this is based on direct tests with my google wifi hub, and the BTW Performance Tester via an ethernet cable into my router. Although this (just) matches the minimum guaranteed speed I was given of 31.2mbps, my estimated speed was 34-50 so it's a bit frustrating if I've upgraded but can't actually achieve faster speeds than I was on already (or even worse - am stuck with slower speeds than I had). 

I am only two days into the changeover so is this just a case of waiting or do I have an issue here? I don't want to end up outwaiting my 'cooling off' period before I know if it's worth paying for the higher package. 

I've attached a screenshot of my availability checker and hub information.

3 REPLIES 3
paulmat

Re: Slower speeds after upgrade to Fibre extra

Sorry - forgot to attach the hub information!

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@paulmat wrote:

I've recently upgraded from Unlimited Fibre to Unlimited Fibre Extra and am receiving slower speeds now than I was before.

... my estimated speed was 34-50 so it's a bit frustrating if I've upgraded but can't actually achieve faster speeds than I was

To be honest it's debateable whether the upgrade is worth the additional cost for such a small potential improvement is speed.

Havong said this your SNR is high. With time this might improve OR you have a lot of noise on your line (have you done a quiet line test by ringing 17070 then Option 2?) OR your line is banded. No doubt Plusnet will just tell you to wait and see if the DLM fixes it.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

paulmat

Thanks Baldrick. All I’m after really is a consistent 35mbps so I can get stadia in 4K so I don’t need a big increase for my money!

Will give it a few more days, it’s lifted to around 32mbps. Still don’t understand why it’s slower than the speeds I was getting previously.

What is SNR? I haven’t done the clear line test because I don’t have a house phone. May have to buy one for this.