cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slower over time...

grizedale
Grafter

Slower over time...

When I first got Fibre in 2014 I was getting a reasonable 11.85mb/s Down & 0.53 up with 15ms ping, not great I know but, over time this has been getting worse, so much so that I now get 6.01 Down, 1.52 up & 43.13 ping. Could someone have a look as to why this might be please.  If it is going to stay like this I see no reason to be paying £29 per month.

See my post here when I was first connected

https://community.plus.net/t5/Broadband/New-to-Fibre/m-p/1117631#M263209

15 REPLIES 15
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Slower over time...

Very quick for me tonight including multiple trips between Inbox and Spam which usually slows it down.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

It could be crosstalk that is accounting for the slowdown.  Could you post your connection stats from your router and what your speed estimates are from here?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

grizedale
Grafter

What is crosstalk?  The link you have given tells me 'The web page at might be temporarily down or it may have moved permanently to a new web address'

Connection Stats

Downstream:  
Upstream:
Mav
Fixes: 515

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav)

Two duplicate posts released from Spam Filter and removed. 

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser

Crosstalk (as I understand it) is interference between multiple users in close proximity.  As more lines are enabled for fibre there can be a reduction in the sync rate caused by that.

That link is working for me.  It will give us the estimated max and min sync speeds for your line.

Are there any other stats you can provide? Such as the SNR Margin, Line Attenuation and errors?  If you can tell us what router you are using I'm sure someone will be about to point you to how you get those.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

grizedale
Grafter

Page still not showing at ADSL checker, it's showing temporarily down or moved.

I'm using a Homehub 5

If it's any help, attached is the info from kitz checker

pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser

There is a "helpdesk" page on there if I remember correctly.  Possibly under help or support.  I'm not using one now so can't check exactly where it is, but that should give us everything we'd need.  If you can't find it I'm sure someone will be able to point you in the right direction.  If you are copy and pasting it though, or giving a screenshot blank out your username.

pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser

Thanks.  If I remember correctly Kitz uses the same interface as the BT Wholesale one that I linked to.  If so you outside of the estimated range so you should be able to get a fault raised.

Are you connected to the master socket or are you using an extension.  1st think to check would be with you plugged into the test socket behind the master socket, without anything else connected.  With that check your sync speed again.  Does it increase?  If so it may be down to your internal wiring.

If not I'd head over to https://faults.plus.net and raise a fault.

grizedale
Grafter

I have a BT Openreach master socket, I have accessed the test socket but the cable that goes to my Homehub 5 doesn't fit the socket...what now please?

pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser

You need to use a filter.  You'll have got one with your router.  It will probably look something like this:

41LNlNZFwuL._SY355_

grizedale
Grafter

I have borrowed one of those from next door, results are the same, can someone at PN check all is well at your end please...As i say, not happy paying £29 for a measly 6mb download speed, don't even have a home phone...

Results attached using test socket with filter

grizedale
Grafter

Looking at my change products page it is showing

• *A temporary fault has stopped us checking your line speed. This doesn't affect your order. If you're happy to continue without a line speed estimate, please click continue below. Alternatively, call our support team.

Can anyone enlighten me please?

grizedale
Grafter

As I am getting no further response here I will investigate the fault checker...

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Hi there,

Sorry that your speed is slower than it has been. Checking the line is showing quite a few disconnections:

Your line is syncing quite fair below the estimates for your service:

Test Outcome Pass
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0001
Description GEA service test completed and no fault found but unable to check for customer equipment connected to modem.
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 6.4 Mbps
Upstream Speed 1.6 Mbps
Appointment Required N
Fault Report Advised N
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Pass
Bridge Tap Not Detected
Radio Frequency Ingress Not Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Cross Talk Not Detected
Estimated Line Length In Metres 1533.0
Upstream Rate Assessment Very Good
Downstream Rate Assessment Low
Interference Pattern Not Detected
Service Impact No Impact Observed
Home Wiring Problem Not Detected
Downstream Policing Discard Rate 0.0
Customer Traffic Level Upstream and Downstream Traffic Detected
Technology VDSL
Profile Name 0.128M-7.9M Downstream, Interleaving High - 0.128M-10M Upstream, Error Protection Off
Time Stamp 2017-03-30T10:00:00

Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Handback Threshold(Mbps)

WBC FTTC Availability Date

WBC SOGEA Availability Date

WBC FTTC 18x2 Provide Availability

WBC FTTC 18x2 Sim Availability

Left in Jumper

High Low High Low        
VDSL Range A (Clean) 16.5 11.3 1.9 0.8 9.6 Available -- Yes Yes --

I'm picking up the fault ticket you've reported and I'll reply there shortly.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.