cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slower download speeds than expected

Dex96

Slower download speeds than expected

Hello,

I am signed up for Plusnet unlimited fibre extra. My estimated download range is at 44 - 64mbps, with a minimum guaranteed speed of 39.5mbps. I have used the Speedtest app on both my PC (wired by ethernet cable) and several of my wireless mobile devices. Speedtest returns a download speed of around 20mbps on all of them. I have also used the BT Wholesale Broadband Checker too. Its maximum observed download speed is 22.39mbps.

The download speed I have actually observed from daily usage over several months is around 2.5mbps. This is the peak speed that I have observed while connected by ethernet cable on my PC.

I understand line quality can affect download speeds, especially when it comes to how far out you are from the exchange. I definitely feel like something is up with the speeds here, however. I was previously contracted to Sky, prior to Plusnet. Download speeds were around 5mbps, so I know at least the line is capable of a bit more than I am receiving.

I'd be grateful for any support. Thank you.

7 REPLIES 7
ijay
Hooked

Re: Slower download speeds than expected

I've just been through the process after changing to fibre extra from standard ADSL and getting below speed advertised.  You should be getting more than minimum guaranteed speed, and plusnet should help you, and can call out BT to have a look.  Mine was fixed by BT engineer at cabinet, and I also made some changes to internal wiring to optimise connection.  Can you post more details -

What router?

Have you tried the plusnet help for low speeds (ie plugging into master socket test point, or disconnecting all other stuff from internal phone connections)?

Can you post screenshots of results and router stats pages...

Regards,

Iain

Dex96

Thanks for the reply. I've tried what you have mentioned previously and there seems to have been no change in download speed.

These are the only stats I could find on my Plusnet Hub One settings page.

Capturedfsdfsdfsdf.PNGCapturedgdfgdfgdf.PNG

tinytaco
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 29

@Dex96 Together with our network partners at Openreach we are prioritising customers who don’t have a phone line or broadband connection, meaning there might be a delay in Speed Faults being fixed. In the meantime, please raise your speed fault online at faults.plus.net

Noor
 Plusnet Help Team
ijay
Hooked

OK, so if you're getting those speeds from the master socket, and plugged in to test port, there is a fault so log as mentioned.

If you go to router main page, then troubleshooting/event log then select WAN log and post here, may give more info.

Dex96

Capturedfgdfgdfgdfgv.PNG

Thank you. This is what the WAN event log shows.

ijay
Hooked

Shows the line speeds as 21/10Mbps which is low, and the timecodes suggest router was restarted yesterday 25/5.  Why was this?

Line SNR on a good line with no problems should be able to get down further (the lower the SNR the higher your achievable line speeds will be. Min is 3dB down and 6dB up) DLM manages this and will increase on a line with problems.  Router should be left on at all times, and if you have to disconnect only do it once a day and for longer than 15 mins at a time so DLM won't think you have a line problem and start adjusting to stabilise, which will always give worse speed in attempt to stabilise line.

Next I'd try a different router if you can and compare figures.  I find that plusnet hub one will give good download but less upload speeds, and is not configurable in any way so you can tune  for your preferences.

Dex96

Thanks for the advice.

I tried using a different ADSL filter yesterday but that didn't seem to have any impact on performance. I restarted just in-case that'd change anything.

I've put in a support request with Plus-Net but will see if I can swap the router and check for any changes after that.

Thank you again for your help.