cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slower download speed after upgrade to fibre extra

FIXED
bergefall

Slower download speed after upgrade to fibre extra

This past week I upgraded my broadband from Unlimited Fibre to Unlimited Fibre Extra. This was completed on 16 June. The Unlimited Fibre connection has worked flawlessly for years before the upgrade.

At first I saw an improvement in both download and upload speed, it went from 36/8 to 48/16 Mbps. Yesterday morning I rebooted my router and ever since then the download speed has dropped to ~20 Mbps. Upload speed is still at ~16 Mbps.

I pulled the line stats from my router (Netgear) and they are as follows

Connection speed: 54Mbps (up) / 18Mbps (down)
Line attenuation: 17.5 dB (up) / 23.9 dB (down)
Noise margin: 6.1 dB (up) / 6.4 dB (down)

I also tried the Plusnet provided router (Hub One) but the results and stats are nearly identical.

I have attached a screenshot of the BT speed test (done from a wired computer)

The connection speed looks to be inline with the expected, so I don't understand why the actual download speed is so slow. The numbers for line attenuation and noise margin don't mean much to me, so I have no idea if they're good or bad. I don't have the previous values unfortunately.

Any ideas what might be wrong and/or what the next step is?

7 REPLIES 7
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

Re: Slower download speed after upgrade to fibre extra

@bergefall if you log in to the member centre, what does it say for 'current line speed'?

and do you have a,static ip OR have the plusnet firewall enabled? 

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bergefall

Here's what the member centre says:

Product: Unlimited Fibre Extra
Estimated Download Range: 49 - 67Mbps
Estimated Upload Range: 12 - 18Mbps
Minimum Guaranteed Speed: 42.7Mbps
Current Line Speed (Download): 21Mbps

I do have a static IP

I don't have the plusnet firewall enabled

I also ran though the broadband trouble shooter. It indicated it found a fault and raised a support ticket. I have referenced this thread in the ticket.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

Current Line Speed (Download): 21Mbps

@bergefall that will be limiting your download speed as you have a static IP.

I've seen  a. few instances recently where the current line speed reverts to an Adsl settting during an upgrade

You could try calling support and telling them your plusnet profile aka current line speed is wrong and they should be able to reset it OR wait for one of the pn help team to see this thread and reset it

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bergefall

I've had the static IP for a few years

Interesting note about the line speed reverting to adsl. I have a ticket open with support so I'll mention that there.

Thanks

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Fix

Hi @bergefall

Thanks a lot for reaching out. I think I've identified the problem here. For whatever reason, the Broadband profile on our end was set to ADSL 2+, not sure why, but this has now been changed, and the connection profile has been updated.

When you can, restart your router and run another speed test over a wired connection and let us know how you get on.

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
bergefall

Excellent news @adam945 

That absolutely solved the issue. I'm now getting 50 down and 17 up which is in line with what I expected.

Thanks everyone for your help

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Great stuff Smiley

Really glad that's helped, feel free to give us a shout if you need any further assistance at all

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds