Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slowdown with new ip address

frosty8
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Slowdown with new ip address

As in the title my ip address changed at about 11am yesterday resulting in lower download and much lower upload speeds.

I had the same ip address for a couple of weeks and was getting 35 Mbps down and 7Mbps up on a speedtest.

Now ...

Up Time.GIF

Low speed.GIF

18 REPLIES 18
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Slowdown with new ip address

Hi there, I don't think the issue is linked to the IP specifically as I can see that's changed since and we also see a downstream line rate of 34.7mbps currently. I'd give the checks here a try if that's still proving to be an issue: https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/connection-troubleshooting/ - Adam 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
frosty8
Rising Star

I don't think the issue is linked to the IP specifically as I can see that's changed since

No still the same IP and low speed especially up speed.

Up Slow.GIF

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @frosty8,

It's very unlikely that the lower speeds are being caused by a different IP Address. I would recommend setting the router up within the test socket if the troubleshooting guide my colleague sent previously hasn't helped to resolve the problem. For reference, we have a guide on how to do this here.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
frosty8
Rising Star

It's very unlikely that the lower speeds are being caused by a different IP Address.

Whatever the reason, a disconnection and new IP address will 9 times out of 10 lower my speed but never this bad on upload. The previous address was on for 2-3 weeks, very stable and good speed for my line 35/7 all the time. IP address changes and a big drop .... I don't know if it is Plusnet or Openreach doing it but pretty sure it is not DLM.

If possible can you reset my line ?? Thanks.

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

It's most likely that DLM is detecting issues on the line, causing the line to retrain (disconnect) and this disconnect means you are assigned a new IP. So the IP is not a cause of the issue, but a symptom.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi @frosty8,

We're not detecting any particular problems that would require changing any line settings when carrying out testing, however I can see that since the connection dropped out on Monday there's been no further drops. It's possible that the speed will gradually return to the same rate it was performing at before so I would keep an eye on on it and see how things go over the next week or so. As it currently stands, the speed is around the rate we'd expect and only slightly lower than it was coming in at before the connection drops. For reference, the download is syncing at 34.8Mbps and the upload at 2.1Mbps.

Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
frosty8
Rising Star

Hi @TheMightyAJ , Download speed has lost a bit but up speed is less than a third of what it used to be.

When things were working fine about 6 weeks ago .....

I will leave it for a few days to see if it improves and if not I will pull the power on the router and leave it off overnight.

Cheers.

13th Nov 19 2.GIF

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi @frosty8,

Let us know how it goes and we'll be happy to help if there's any further problems. As I say, the troubleshooting guides linked earlier in the thread, especially the guide on setting up within the test socket, may be able to boost the upload speed a bit more.

Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
frosty8
Rising Star

Download speed much the same but upload still dropping according to Google and speedtest dot net

BTW very generous with their upload speed ......

Google.GIF

Okla.GIF

BTW 1.GIF

Might disconnect overnight this weekend ... or not.

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Hi @frosty8, thanks for updating us.

Had you managed to get your connection set into the test socket as yet?

For your convenience you'll find instructions on how to do so here.

Let us know how you get on.

frosty8
Rising Star

Had you managed to get your connection set into the test socket as yet?

Hi @OskarPapa , thanks for the reply.

I won't be using the test socket as it is downstairs and everything else is upstairs. It makes no difference as I tried it before when testing for slower than expected speeds shortly after joining PN in September.

Two engineers saw nothing wrong in my internal wiring. Both engineers also found no errors at all on the line, the speed problem being down to distance and some Aluminium cables underground.

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Hi @frosty8, thanks for getting back to me.

Noted, although the reason I've asked for you to enter the test socket is because I'm detecting a potential 'bridge tap' issue.

A bridge tap is an extraneous length of dangling, unterminated cable on a communications line, usually left over from an earlier configuration, that can cause impedance mismatches and other undesired effects in transmissions.

Accessing the test socket in this case can help to prove or disprove the bridge tap and can indicate to us the best way to move forward.

frosty8
Rising Star

@OskarPapa , Hi, I unplugged the router overnight but still the same upload speed. After being off overnight it gave me a PN ip address but thought I was living in Sheffield. On a further reboot (15 mins) I had got a bit nearer (Leicester) and after another I am now in Essex instead of London.

I have been with a number of ISP's over the years but PN is the only one that puts me in it's home town instead of where I actually live ?

Anyway it is now in the test socket.

Over a wireless connection .........

Essex.GIF

frosty8
Rising Star

Router still in test socket but PC upstairs now connected by cable ....

Cable.GIF