cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slowdown problem/ping issue

wiganfcfan08

Slowdown problem/ping issue

Hi, between 7pm to around 11:30 pm everyday since changing back to plusnet my internet drops from 58mbs to 18mbs download, up is 19mb and it stays at 19mb. Ping goes from stable 9ms, to spiking from 11ms-75ms. 

I've never had an issue like this before. I changed back to plusnet on the 26th, i waited a week before contacting. But it's around 7:30ish everyday and last for around 4 hours. Btw using a wired connection.

7 REPLIES 7
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Slowdown problem/ping issue

Hi there, 

I've just been looking into this and we're seeing no obvious reason for that kind of issue. Have you been  connecting over WiFi when you've noticed that happening?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
wiganfcfan08

Hi, i always use a wired connection, very rarely use wifi. I'll attach a screenshot of a normal speed test. Then later tonight or tomorrow i'll attach one of the issue i'm currently having. By the way i have tested multiple ways when the issue begins. From cmd, different servers, different sites and locations ect. It's starts at around 7-7:30pm and last's until around 11-11:30pm. 

My normal speeds here are 56-58mb download, 18-19mb upload. I was getting 68mb-69mb and 18mb-19mb before switching. To be honest i do not need a high download or upload, the latency issue is the main problem. This became an issue since the first day i switched to plusnet. I will update when i can.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Using a speed test site from Canada is not going to help you get an accurate picture. Have you logged into your router to see if you get any variation of your sync speeds?

wiganfcfan08

^ I agree, but pinging google.co.uk/com or bbc.co.uk ect. Pings are stable during the day and spike a ridiculous amount at night. 

By the way i use that site because it shows bufferbloat. It doesn't show latency as the ms at the top of the screen is not the same as when it judges ping. I will run cmd tomorrow multiple times during the day and at night to show this issue.

I just don't understand why this happens at 7pm every night and ends at around 11pm-11:30pm. (Internet is unusable for 4 hours everyday).

Tonight i forgot to check while it is at it's worst, i'm doing it now while its going back to being normal/ish.

^Forgot to mention, yes i have checked sync speed's during the time i have these issues and nothing changes, right now they're.

System Up-Time 0D 12H 44M 54S
B0 Traffic Type PTM
B0 Line Rate - Upstream (Kbps) 19999
B0 Line Rate - Downstream (Kbps) 60692
B1 Traffic Type Inactive
B1 Line Rate - Upstream (Kbps) 0
B1 Line Rate - Downstream (Kbps) 0
bluewhale
Rising Star

what's your snr doing?

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I just don't understand why this happens at 7pm every night and ends at around 11pm-11:30pm. (Internet is unusable for 4 hours everyday).

Even with pings of 75ms this shouldn't render the connection unusable and the speeds you're showing when the issues occur are still fast enough to perform the majority of online activities.

If you do experience slowdowns at the same times each evening, it may be something in the local area such as exchange/cabinet capacity.

When the speeds are poor can you run a BT Speedtest for me, ensuring you do the further diagnostics test after the first one completes. This stores the results on the supplier system and allows us to use this to report the fault.

Once you have the low speeds recorded please report a fault at https://faults.plus.net

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Stringwalker
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

I'm having exact same problem, this is more then likely a over subscribed cabinet, had same issue with Vodafone, even the same times.