cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow webpage loading/timing out/losses in connection

bleachedsmiles

Slow webpage loading/timing out/losses in connection

For about 3 weeks now something's been wrong with my connection...internet pages will either not load fully/correctly first time, or they'll time out completely and not load at all. I'm left constantly refreshing to try and get a page correctly loaded. This problem also extends to games consoles...where the connection will keep dropping, apps (such as netflix/amazon) failing to load until a couple of tries, and even my smart tv now always needs me to re-search for the wifi each time I wish to use an app via it because it's lost the connection.
I've done a speed test and that appears normal, no noticable change there. I've made sure chrome is fully up to date, tried different up to date  browsers, made sure java is up to date, ran virus scans, malware etc...just in case the problem was to do with my laptop...windows 10 (thought that would have no effect on the drops via console/tv).
I thought it may have been a problem server side as I read something about the weather effecting Plusnet...and have waited out the maintenance dates...but still the problem continues. Is anybody else experiencing/experienced the same?
3 REPLIES 3
HighChaparral

Re: Slow webpage loading/timing out/losses in connection

Symptoms sound exactly the same as the DNS issues that I'm having.
What router are you using?
If you can, change the DNS setting on your computer to: 8.8.8.8
This will tell your computer to use Google's DNS server rather than Plusnet's.
It's not a permanent fix, since not every device can be configured to do this, but if it works you will at least know what the problem is. Depending on your router there may be something more permanent you can do.
bleachedsmiles

I'm not sure how i change my DNS to give it a try?
I've Plusnets own Technicolor TG582n. I've read about microfilters in the help guide for broadband trouble...but I don't have one installed in the first place (faceplate with 2 sockets). I've also just read that some have been sent firmware updates to correct what sounds like the same issues...not being sent out automatically though, you have to ask for it to be sent? Have you tried that? I've enquired about it in another post.
Do you also have windows 10? I've noticed twice now that when i've started my laptop windows 10 has started my in airplane mode. I've no idea why...but turning it back off makes no difference to timeouts when loading pages.
I've also noticed that windows firewall has plusnet as an active public network rather than a private one? not sure if this has always been the case or an update has changed it. But i've tried browsing with the firewall off to see if it makes a difference and it's still the same
khaled35
Rising Star

I'm having a similar issue but the difference is that I am not using the technicolor router:
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,148695.0.html
I'm literally having to private message CSRs after days of my thread not being responded to. I hope you have better luck getting your issue resolved.
There was a time when posting issues to this forum got a proactive response from the CSR; I'm not sure what's changed but I'm not seeing them wanting to take charge of issues and see them through to resolutions any more.  Unless it's easy stuff like changing a profile.
Good luck ....