Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow upload speeds

FIXED
stur

Slow upload speeds

Hi

My fibre service went live on Fri. 

I am quite happy with download speeds. I know these will take a little while to stabilise but they have normal been above the guaranteed min. However the upload speeds have been painfully slow. generally around 0.5mbps. I know these are not guaranteed but under my old ISP they ran at about 10-12 mbps and I was expecting similar from the PlusNet service.   

It makes no difference if I connect via Ethernet Cable or wireless. 

I ran the BT Wholesale speed checker and it tells me the following:

Upload speed achieved during the test was 0.57 mbps
For your connection, the maximum achievable upload speed is 20 mbps
IP Profile for your line is 20 mbps

My phone line is also crackling. This was also taken over by Plusnet from the old provider. (not sure if the two faults are related - just thought I would mention it). 

I would be grateful of any advice on how this can be rectified.  

7 REPLIES 7
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Re: Slow upload speeds

Welcome to the forums, @stur . If your phone line is crackling, report a phone fault.

I can't say whether the abysmal upload is related to that fault or not, but it could well be, given the other figures reported.

John
stur

Thanks Jab,

I have reported both the phone fault and the upload speed today and agreed to monitor how things go for a couple of days and if no improvement an engineer visit will be arranged.

I do find it a little frustrating considering that the service was running perfectly with my old ISP and several faults develop on the instant my service is switched over.

Today the upload speeds have remained at around 0.5mbs. However I did try resetting the router once and shortly after got a speed of around 10.8mbs which I was delighted with. Sadly the service dropped out completely a few minutes after that. Whilst the download speeds since then have been acceptable the upload speed has not got above 0.5 since and I have had further drops outs. 

Fingers crossed it can be resolved soon. Anyway thanks for your reply Jab1. 

jab1
Legend

Fix

Quick comment before I go to bed - the phone fault NEEDS sorting, until that is done, there is little point in further investigation.

John
stur

Thanks John.

jab1
Legend

You sorted, then, @stur ?

John
stur

Pleased to say that Openreach have now visited my property. No faults in the house and eventually found a telephone fault at the local cabinet. So now no static on the phone and thankfully as Jab 1 thought might be the case, this has also corrected the upload speed which is now running at consistently over 10mbs. 

jab1
Legend

Result!!👍

John