cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow upload speed today

TheHorseman
Rising Star

Slow upload speed today

I'm in sync at 19999Kbps and yet a BT speedtest gives 0.51Mbps, Download however is ok.at 74Mbps. It seems to have been like this most of the day. Accessing my home camera and computer has been like running through treacle.

Exchange is Haslington (wmhas). Anyone else getting this?

11 REPLIES 11
highpriest
Dabbler

Re: Slow upload speed today

Wireless or wired?

TheHorseman
Rising Star

Wired, a second BT speedtest within the last hour and a half was down to 0.09Mbps upload. Again download around 74Mbps. I do however have an IP starting 51. if it is relevant to this problem.

highpriest
Dabbler

Have you run a test using speedtest.net and does that correlate with the BT test?

Have you got anything else running on your network that could be using up your upstream bandwidth? Torrents?

TheHorseman
Rising Star

I've just run speedtest.net and the BT wholesale test one after the other. results are: BT 74/0.25 Speedtest.net 74/18.

so it looks as though the BT speedtest is very broken on uploads.

However trying to view my home camera from work is painfully slow, so slow in fact that it cannot stream but just gives a static image.(the work connection is a 10Gb fibre link). I may try changing the camera port number to see if that makes any difference.

Edited to add: A speedtest.net test run less than a half hour ago gave: 62 down/ 0.2 up.

highpriest
Dabbler

How odd. What router are you using? How many connected devices?

TheHorseman
Rising Star

Router is an Apple Airport extreme (4th gen) connected to the BT modem (HG612B). The network has around 16 active devices on it.

I've been using the same setup since I first had FTTC installed in April 2011. (BT Infinity back then). Moved to Plusnet in July 2014.

I wonder if it is anything to do with the fact that I am on the 'new' network as there seem to be a few teething problems. There were problems recently reported by people with IPs starting 51.6.x.x and my IP starts 51.9.x.x.

davenos
Rising Star

Your not the only one, there are a few suffering from the vastly lowered upload speed mine is at this moment running at a super fast 0.01mbps according to both thinkbroadband and the BT checker.

I've had various explanations from im on the 40/2 package(im not),you've been moved incorrectly from the 40/20 to 40/2(never been on the 40/20 package) to a mistake when i moved to the new network, they are now telling me there is noting wrong.

The only solution so far offered was to move me to FTTP(this was a note left on my account) which is physically not possible where i live so make of that what you will.

This issue coupled with the other ongoing DNS issue is seriously making me think about leaving PlusNet and i was in the process but decided to stay maybe i should have just let the order with a rival go through.

TheHorseman
Rising Star

Something odd is going on, I can access my home PC ok at the moment from work (teamviewer) and speeds are normal for my connection 74/17ish. However I still cannot stream from my home camera, this problem only started Monday this week. I don't think that my work IT is blocking it as it would probably not work at all if that was the case.

highpriest
Dabbler

I think this needs to be looked into by a member of the support staff. Have you tried the online chat option yet?

TheHorseman
Rising Star

I haven't yet, I need to check with our IT services to check it isn't them, I don't think it is but want to make sure. It looks a little like congestion but since the upload is 25% of download I'd be surprised.

Andrue
Pro
Fixes: 1

@TheHorseman wrote:

so it looks as though the BT speedtest is very broken on uploads.

Doesn't surprise me. Speedtest.net or thinkbroadband are the two I favour. TBB is my preferred choice because it performs both a single thread and multiple thread test.