cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow upload speed on FTTC

hill47
Grafter

Slow upload speed on FTTC

I have had Plusnet FTTC since 2012 when I was on the higher 80Mb/s tariff and I was achieving a download speed of 55Mb/s.

A few years later I downgraded to the lower tariff of 38Mb/s when I was achieving a download speed of about 34Mb/s.

A few years ago Plusnet changed the specification to 55/10 when I renewed my contract and my upload speed started to increase gradually.

At the moment I am achieving a download speed of 40Mb/s approx, but my upload speed is a very low 3Mb/s approx, see speedtest.net screen grab. The BT wholesale tester produces the same result.

I have complained to Plusnet several times in the past and have had Openreach involved but no-one can explain the problem.

It is a nuisance to me because I subscribe to continuous online backup and do a lot of website updating.

My son is on Plusnet FTTC too.  He gets a download speed of around 37Mb/s, but an upload speed of nearly 9Mb/s

What I cannot understand is, if my line can support a download speed of 40Mb/s, why is the upload speed so poor?

30 REPLIES 30
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Re: Slow upload speed on FTTC

What result do you get when you put your Phone number in here ? https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

It may be the line is at its maximum upload

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
hill47
Grafter

Hi, thanks for your reply.  I have run the test you suggested and have attached a screen grab of the results.

I don't know what it means, but it suggests I should be getting a much higher upload speed.

I am an Electrical Engineer and to me the copper line from the fibre cabinet is a transmission line which has the potential to work equally in each direction. I realise it is not as simple as that, but it suggests that something has not been set correctly?

Regards

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Personal information removed from attachment in a public forum.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Which router/modem do you have? If its the Hub One, a pic of the Help Desk tab making sure you hide sensitive info such as username and password should help diagnose your issue.

hill47
Grafter

I still use the original Openreach modem which is connected to an Asus RT-N66U router.

If you believe it could be a router issue, I have a newish TP-Link router I could try.

The slowdown to 3Mb/s has occurred fairly recently, before then I was getting about 6Mb/s upload which also seemed too slow.

Regards

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

we need one of the Staff to check this Thumbs_Up @Gandalf

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Baldrick1
Fixes: 416

@hill47 wrote:
I am an Electrical Engineer and to me the copper line from the fibre cabinet is a transmission line which has the potential to work equally in each direction.

That's true but you also need to bear in mind that this is broadband and the transmit and receive data streams occupy different frequency bands. If there happens to be noise picked up in say one of the upstream frequency bands then it will kill part of the upstream but not the downstream data rate. Having said that, your downstream isn't really up to scratch either.

This could of course be irrelevant. Having been through this before I assume that you have done a quiet line test (dial 17070 and select option 2) and have tested using the BT Test Socket?

If you have a spare router then why not try it, a different microfilter as well if you have one? It all helps by eliminating some of the possible causes.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

hill47
Grafter

I have disconnected the Openreach modem and Asus router and connected my laptop via a TP-Link  TD-W9970  router into the network socket on my Openreach master socket.

I am still getting approx 40Mb/s download and 3Mb/s upload speeds.

The stats in the TP-Link router are as follows:

Up                  Down

Line Rate                  3240                 46724

SNR Margin               6.3                     2.9

Line Attenuation        26.7                   11.9

Errors                          0                         0

Line rate in Kb/s, losses in dB.

The attenuation for upload does not sound right to me.

As I said earlier, I have never had better than 6Mb/s upload and now it has deteriorated to 3Mb/s

My next door neighbour has Plusnet fibre and must use a copper pair in the same cable so I will ask him what speed he gets.

Regards

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

What are the max rate speeds, and is it any different when you use the test socket accessed by removing the two screws on the master socket? You will need to use a separate filter.

hill47
Grafter

The speeds may have been the max speeds declared in the router.  They are higher than what I am seeing in reality.

I have tested to the internal socket in the past and it made no difference, but will try again after the latest degradation.

Regards

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

A downstream attenuation of 11.9 should be hitting 80Mbs download, my line is 11.3 with an attainable 95Mbs.

What do you get from the test socket?

hill47
Grafter

I will check at the test socket tomorrow.
Do any Plusnet techies get involved in these discussions?
hill47
Grafter

Hi,

Today I connected my laptop via cable to my TP-Link router directly to the Openreach internal master socket.

I still got the same results of 40/3 using the Plusnet speed checker as shown in the attached screen grab.

I even tried two different filters to convert the connector types.

I have also attached a screen grab of the router stats which show the actual and maximum speeds (not sure what max means).

These are very similar results to my original set-up using Openreach modem and Asus router.

I am hoping, later today, to measure the speed of my adjoining neighbour's Plusnet fibre connection.  The result should be interesting.

Regards

SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 93

Hello @hill47

Sorry to hear that your uplo9ad is lower than expected. We would need you to follow the steps here, and once all steps are completed please let us know here so we can get this investigated further.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team
hill47
Grafter

I have just been to my neighbour's house in the adjoining semi and measured his Plusnet Broadband speed by connecting my laptop via cable to his modern Plusnet router.  

He has no internal telephone connections, so connecting directly to the internal master socket is irrelevant.

Using the Plusnet speedtester I measured a download speed ot 37Mb/s and an upload speed of 2.4Mb/s which is worse than my connection.

I have been complaining about my upload speed for several years and it has now become totally unacceptable and unfit for purpose. I can live with the lower than expected download speed, but not the upload speed.