cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow upload after a solid connection for 5 years

modd1uk

Slow upload after a solid connection for 5 years

Hi guys, I bought my house 5 years ago and went with BT to start with and switched to plusnet back in 2014. I've had a solid 50-54mbps download and 11-14mbps upload since I moved in, however for the last two weeks my upload has dropped to 4 - 6mbps.

I reported the fault, Plusnet sent me a hub one out in case it was the openreach modem I use causing an issue, it made no difference. At the time I reported the fault I was getting 48mbps down and 4-6mbps upload.

I had an engineer visit on Thursday 29/06/2017 (I'm not overly confident he knew what he was doing, I'm an IT technician by trade so can usually sniff out the less competent engineers - that makes me sound like an [-Censored-] but it's better to give the full story). He fitted a new face-plate and did various checks / resets on the line and said my broadband speed should creep back up, however my speed is actually worse since he's been, I now get about 37mbps down and 6mbps up.

Now I know the line is more than capable of a solid upload of 11-14mbps which was great for playing games / streaming to twitch, I'm a loyal plusnet customer with 5 referrals on my account and I recently switched to plusnet mobile, I'm due to move house in the next 6-8 weeks and will either need my account transferring or signing up to Virgin, as even with their terrible customer service their upload is more than I'm currently getting :/.

Anything you can do?

Regards Andy

6 REPLIES 6
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Re: Slow upload after a solid connection for 5 years

Sorry to hear you're having issues with your upload speed.

Our tests aren't showing any obvious cause but the speeds are slightly below the low end of your estimate.

The only way to progress the issue would be to arrange another engineer visit

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

@modd1uk wrote:

I'm an IT technician by trade so can usually sniff out the less competent engineers

I'm due to move house in the next 6-8 weeks and will either need my account transferring or signing up to Virgin, as even with their terrible customer service their upload is more than I'm currently getting :/.

Hi Andy,

A warm welcome to the forums.

I'll leave the staff to deal with your under performing line.  However I thought it worth noting that the performance of any broadband connection - FTTC or ADSL - is entirely governed by the quality of the copper circuit connecting your property to BT's network.  At no point does the performance of the local link fall within the governance of the ISP (other than Virgin), so the performance of the PlusNet "provided" service at this home is no indication of how differently or similarly it might perform at your new home.  Nor will the ISP you choose affect the quality of engineer attending faults, albeit a switch to Virgin will be a different group of engineers ... but a number of friends who have Virgin report the same mixed bag of ability amongst their engineers too.

How does the "phone" line sound?

Please perform a quiet line test - dial 17070 select option 2 using a corded phone plugged into the test socket behind the face plate of the master socket. It should be silent. A noisy phone line (or no dial tone) will have a marked adverse impact on the performance of broadband.

If the line is noisy or there is no dial tone, then a PHONE LINE fault needs to be raised with your phone provider. If this is PlusNet, you can report a fault on line using the button below.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

modd1uk

Hi fella, 

We don't have a phone plugged in, the engineer tested the line and said it sounded fine. Having spoken to plusnet they're arranging another engineer, hopefully one with a little more knowledge, I suspect the fault lies at the cabinet as the engineers are limited what they can do at the property surely?

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

You are quite correct - work from the property is essentially a line test - however some faults cannot be detected from the house end, tests ought also to be carried out Cabinet back to the house as well.  he engineer ought to have checked the line speed at the cabinet.  If you have an iffy joint properly sorting this might take a few visits, for if the joint is not iffy when tested, they cant fix it ... unless they open up every joint box and re-crimp your pair.

A corded phone is a very desirable diagnostic tool.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

modd1uk

Second engineer visit today, with his test equipment the property should receive about 51mbps down and 7mbps up, that upload is still a hell of a lot slower than I've had for 5 years.

He ran all the diagnostics he can do, the cabinet is only pumping out about 6mbps upload, he's been and done some jiggary pokery at the cabinet in the street and it's still no different, I've been advised that basically the cabinet is over capacity now and can't cope with all these new fibre users, and thus has reduced my speed. Because i was one of the first in the area on fibre I was getting the better speeds, it's only going to get worse if nobody puts provisions in place to count for all these extra users.

This isn't plusnet's issue in my eyes, its BT/Openreach, whoever installs and manages the cabinets.

So basically "it is what it is", if I hadn't just sold the property i'd be mad as I use my upload just as much as my download.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Sorry to hear your upstream speed hasn't improved following the investigation.

As the sync rate still falls below your estimates, we'll be happy to arrange an engineer to take another look but as it sounds like your line is suffering from cross talk so it's unlikely to improve. Sad

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet