Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow throughput

penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Slow throughput

I normally have a 55/10 connection, and have no issues with stability or throughput. Tonight the kids have been moaning about the internet being slow. Did a speed test and was getting around 3mb wired and wireless. Router hadnt resynced for 6 days. Rebooted but still the same, really poor throughput. Currently syncing at what I normally sync at, 54933/9999 as normal. The only thing that's changed us I've renewed my package a few days ago in a really good deal. Could my line profile have been altered, if indeed there is a line profile on fttc.... Or has my legacy 55/10 profile caused some confusion. Would welcome any advice before I raise a speeds issue. Could it also be the router, it's a hub 1, but I've never had these issues before.

9 REPLIES 9
Terranova667
Pro

Re: Slow throughput

Do you have a fixed IP address? it still uses the old Plusnet network and the Plusnet Profile which if not set correct causes throughput issues.

Dynamic IP no longer uses either so it wouldn't be related to that, what does your BTW IP profile say?

penfold
Aspiring Pro

As it happens I do have a static ip... Didn't choose to have one, it came with the (very) legacy BB PAYG many many years ago. I was assuming a profile issue, as speed tests on all my devices wired or wireless is 3-5mb. Is this due to my new contract and a default setting. Will ring tomorrow and get rid of static ip and see what's going on with profile. For interest my adsl speeds were around this level.... Can't get bt ip profile, bt site advanced diagnostics just shows a white screen.....
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Another oddity, before I rebooted router tonight, it told me it was on 6 days uptime, but looking at the wan logs, it dropped at just after mignight on the 17th....wonder if this was just a PPP drop for a profile change, even though logs reckoned it resynced
Terranova667
Pro

Could well be just a PPP drop although the logs saying something different is a little weird, I'm not aware of a desync being fast enough for the Modem/router not to see it as such and keep the uptime, but maybe it's possible.

Getting the Static IP removed or the Plusnet Profile Adjusted to where it should be should fix the throughput issue. 

penfold
Aspiring Pro

Well it's terrible this morning... Speed tests not even registering, max speed just now was 55kbps. Noticed a few issues in the logs, with disconnections and a new message, pppoe padt received. If a member of csc sees this can they have a look at my account... Only other thing I can think of is router failure....
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@penfold 

You can always log the fault at faults.plus.net.

I used to be on the 55/10 product. When I came to renew I could not get what I considered to be a decent offer. I had looked at a price comparison site and had a competitors 80/20 price ready. With this I haggled an upgrade to 80/20 a fair bit cheaper than the 55/10 offer. The problem with 55/10 is that no other budget ISP offers it so you can’t use a competitors price to haggle.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

penfold
Aspiring Pro

Thanks @Baldrick1
Ill give them a ring, just to see if a profile issue... I did get permission good deal from them this time, cheaper than a new customer deal.... If nothing plusnet end, I do have a spare router, a business hub 6...will try that after work... If not faults it is, but its been stable for ages...
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Spoke with Support.  They say everything appears to be OK their end. Today they tell me I have had over 30 disconnects, compared to 3 yesterday, 2 the day before, and then nothing for the previous month.

Line tests are OK, and show no issues, and IP profile OK.

I am leaning towards a router issue, as its a Hub 1, and the wifi has been a bit flakey of late, with variable speeds....

Will put the Business Hub 6 on tonight, and use the test socket, and see what happens.  If still the same I am stumped....

With regards the static IP how easy is this to have removed.  I dont need it...

Anyone from CSC care to comment I would be grateful for expert advice....

penfold
Aspiring Pro

Well..... Oddly enough, came home last night, and everything back to normal, 45-50mb download speeds, router not dropped for over 6hrs. Today, still the same, nothing has changed, and we've not done anything.... I've noticed a couple of other posts about speed drops yesterday, was there some kind of outage or something..... Anyway, going to replace the hub 1 with a business hub 6 today and change the cables for good measure... Anyone any ideas why it went to sub dial up speeds and back to normal???