Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow spikes around 9pm

aledlewis1
Dabbler

Slow spikes around 9pm

Hi,

Please can I raise a ticket for recent slow spikes on my connection that start around 9pm daily? This has only been happening for about a week. What I see is sudden slow response across all devices using the connection. Running a constant ping shows that for these spikes the response time shoots up from <30ms to >300ms with occasional packet loss. The spikes only last less than five seconds, but can occur as regularly as every two minutes.

I have had lots of work to do at home recently and during these spikes I see packet loss on my VPN to the office, so this is affecting my job.

I'm on unlimited fibre. Using wi-fi to a d-link router. Problem occurs nightly from around 9pm across all devices for the last week or so.

Thanks

Aled
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Slow spikes around 9pm

@aledlewis1 - Have you bought any new devices in this last week that may be causing this? The fact that you are seeing a regular pattern to these implies that it is something specific that is causing them and not just bad luck. Before you raise this ticket may I suggest that you turn off all devices that are on your network with the exception of your PC to allow you to monitor the network.

If the issue doesn't occur then the implication is that one of the devices you turned off is the culprit, how ever, if they continue then check the device your are using if its a Windows PC it may be phoning home for updates. If you are able to then monitor the network using another device and turn off the one you are using to prove it is the source.

Once you have done this, you may be able to sort this yourself without the need to raise a support ticket, as from what you have described I do not think this is a Plusnet service issue.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Sorry to hear that Aled.

Our tests aren't showing any issues.

Do you experience the same problems using a wired connection? This will help narrow down where the problem lies.

If your connection is OK that way, then it's likely the issue lies with the wireless signal and further help can be found here: https://community.plus.net/t5/Plusnet-Blogs/How-to-boost-your-wi-fi/ba-p/1450193

If you're still having problems using a wired connection, please can you run a speed test at www.speedtest.btwholesale.com completing the further diagnostics? -Anoush

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
aledlewis1
Dabbler

Hi guys,

Thanks for your responses, I've been doing some testing when I can, but I'm still experiencing the issue. I've noticed that the problem does actually occur during the day, it just seems to get worse around 9pm.

Following the idea about wireless interference I've changed the channel a couple of times on my router, but it doesn't seem to have helped. I can't test on my work laptop wired because it doesn't have an ethernet port. However I've tested on another laptop wired and I don't see the same issue so I guess that it's a wireless problem rather than anything to do with my plusnet connection, though it affects all devices. I'll do some more fiddling with the router and maybe swap it.

Thanks for looking and for your suggestions.

Aled
TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @aledlewis1,

I'm glad to see you've narrowed down what the issue could be. Please let us know how it goes and if you're still having any problems.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team