cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow speeds

Gregg
Grafter

Slow speeds

After solving the issue with constant disconnecting, being the openreach flashed modem being configured incorrectly for bridged mode.Having 3 months of stable connection since resolving the issue.

I still have slow speeds majority of the time. I rent a 1gigabit dedicated server and download and upload files to this server.

I have in the past got full speed 80/20 to the server but the last 2 months the performance has been [-Censored-]. I am getting 3mbyte a second majority of the time and lucky to get 5mbyte a second. It also makes no difference whether it is during the day or over night. However at 9pm the speed is the worst and latency goes bad as well.

Due to all of this, I can no longer recommend plusnet as a credible vdsl supplier and I will be moving away when my contract is up. Sorry to say that but they just don't have the bandwidth available on their network and are over subscribing.

As depressing as it is, I might have to go back to BT, I might try ZEN first but even then the alternatives look bleak.

Sad day indeed.

7 REPLIES 7
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Re: Slow speeds

Sorry to hear you're having issues with your speeds.

Our tests aren't showing any obvious issues.

Can you run a speedtest here over a wired connection with nothing running in the background?

You'll need to click 'Further Diagnostics' and enter your phone number so we can see the results.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Gregg
Grafter

no

JayG
Pro
Fixes: 6

What's the point of posting in a help forum if you're not prepared to accept an offer of help?

Gregg
Grafter

There is no line issue. What else can you do?

Looking at the threads in here, it is common for people to get slow speeds. I would say it is normal to not get full speeds on fiber service.

jameshanner
Dabbler

Same sort of issue here. I have good speeds sometime. I have about 1Mbps right now. I've done everything that's been suggested by a helpful forum member, and a single sentence from PlusNet 'support' telling me to check my connection using a BT checker. I'm not a BT customer. I'm a PlusNet customer. I want help from PlusNet. I am not getting it, nor am I getting the service I'm paying for. Who needs to do the runaround to correct this? I'd say the people who I'm paying the money to. And that's PlusNet. I'm tied into another 14 months of this.

davenos
Rising Star

@Gregg I understand your frustration, i have been having ongoing peak time issues for months(dropping to 4mbps) with a few weeks inbetween where things where fine, i have put in a formal complaint and so far the replies have been as follows,

1.Its almost certainly a wireless issues - Despite telling them in my complaint i only use a wired connection

2.A phone call to tell me all checks are fine and there is no contention/congestion, then less than 30 seconds later in the same call im told a vlan was running hot causing contention/congestion and that the suppliers had fixed it

3. It must be a wireless issue - Again ignoring im only using a wired connection

4. That this is how broadband works and that a constant speed will never be achieved -  Despite never having the throughput drop so significantly before(usually a drop of 1 or 2mbps)

5.That because my line is capable of achieving throughput of more than 30mbps that nothing will be done as Plusnet cannot pass this issue on to their suppliers if that speed is achievable(even though at peak times it is not).

Don't hold you breath waiting for a fix as it won't be coming along anytime soon(if ever).

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi Gregg,

we understand your frustration too but we do need your cooperation to help.

If you change your mind and decide to run the test do let us know and we'll be more than happy to follow things up with you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team