cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow speeds

mauley

Slow speeds

As mentioned by others in this forum over the weekend. I experience a terrible drop in speeds and performance.
I ran a few tests over the weekend, the lowest score I got was this...

Also when trying to load webpages I get the "page timeout" message and sometimes when they do load they dont do so correctly. Very frustrating as I need my connection for online study.
14 REPLIES 14
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Re: Slow speeds

Sorry to hear your having issues with your speed.
I can see that the first BT speedtest you ran failed so you should be able to run what's known as a TAP3 test.
If you follow the instructions after the first test fails you'll be able to do this.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
mauley

Unfortauntely I had trouble finding where in the router setting I am suppsoed to enter the username.
dick:quote
mauley

I would really appreciate some guidance on how to complete the Tap3 test as I can not find where to chnage the Username in my router settings.
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

If you go through these steps below you should be able to
1) Go to http://192.168.1.254 in your browser
2) Enter the following details Username:admin (all in lower-case) Password: The routers serial number starting with CP (All in capitals)
3) On the left hand side click on "Broadband Connection" then click on "View More"
4) Click Disconnect and then enter the following details Username:speedtest@speedtest_domain and Password: password (In lower-case)
5) Click Connect
This should allow you to run the TAP3 test and if you follow the same instructions after you can change the details back to your usual ones.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
mauley

Okay.
I ran the first test and got the following results
Download Speed (Mbps) - 54.48
Upload Speed(Mbps) - 12.17
Ping Latency (ms) - 24.88
Ran the 2nd test and got the following results
Download Speed (Mbps) - 54.48
IP Profile - 68.11 Mbps
Upload Speed(Mbps) - 12.17
Upstream Rate IP Profile - 20 Mbps
Now what is weird is that the test come out fine but the performance of the network is clearly now as the service goes up and down from time to time. Another example is the long page load times and most of the time when trying to load a page I get the message "Page has timed out"
I am running a fresh install of Windows 8.1 Pro with all drivers up to date, fresh web browser profiles with no Adblock or addons installed. I can not understand why the performance has dropped like this all of a sudden.
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

Apologies if I'm missing something, but it seems that this may be unrelated to other issues. Some of the information points toward other problems.
How are you connecting? (Wireless/wired). The page timeouts aren't something that I'd expect to see.
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
mauley

I am connecting via Wireless. It was working fine up until a few days ago now web pages do not load fully. Downlaod speeds are also lower than usual. Normally i get minimum 5-6Mbps download now it is maxing out, if im lucky, at 2Mbps.
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Can you try a wired connection to see if that's any better?
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
mauley

I connected via Wired therenet connection but now the speed is even worse.
I have a brand new motherboard with Gigabit ethernet connection and using a Cat6 cable and even tried a Cat5.
I have uploaded a pscreenshot to the fault log.
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

Very unusual. What did you get with the wired tests - the attachment on your ticket was the wireless one.
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
mauley

I have attached a screenshot which shows the speed that I got after the Wired TAP 3 test.
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

The TAP3 test failing isn't a good sign as it points towards a capacity issue at your exchange.
Our faults team are looking into this for you.
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
mauley

That doesnt sound to good at all. Thanks for looking into it and if you could keep me updated please.
Thanks
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

The ticket's back with our Faults team.
It looks like there's a amber VP at your exchange which will be the cause.
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team