cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow speeds and drop out

dartilov
Grafter

Slow speeds and drop out

I like many have been experiencing much slower speeds than usual, expected and paying for of late.  Initially, I raised a ticket due to a "battery" fault on the line that got sorted out earlier this month.

Having seen the comments of a number of people on this, I carried out some checking and analysis and got the following results.

I have a new TPlink Archer A7 router and completed the tests on ethernet.Capture.PNG

18 REPLIES 18
dartilov
Grafter

Re: Slow speeds and drop out

Exchange Info here

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hiya @dartilov, thanks for getting in touch. I am really sorry to hear you have noticed a decrease in your speeds.

I have tested your line today and this hasn't highlighted any fault; we're seeing a sync speed of 73.3mb. With that being said, we are seeing a few drops in your connection over the last few days.

If not already done so, I would advise to have a run through our troubleshooting here: https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/connection-troubleshooting/ and log a fault here: https://faults.plus.net should the issue persist.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
dartilov
Grafter

Good evening

I carried out a test directly into the master socket this evening and the results/performance is attached.

Initially on this and Ookla test the performance gets to the high 50's or low 60's then drops to 30 - 40 mbps and this is backed up by the attached.

Kind regards

Andy

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing these issues @dartilov. Did you have the chance to carry out any troubleshooting steps before running these tests last night?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
dartilov
Grafter

Yes, I did.

Disconnected everything snd then only had the router connected and the pc via ethernet to carry out a speed test.

Kind regards

Andy

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Thanks for getting back in touch. I've raised a support ticket on your account regarding this, which can be accessed here. Please let us know once you've had the chance to read and respond to the ticket and we'll pick this back up for review as soon as possible.

Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
dartilov
Grafter

Good evening

My speeds seemed to sort itself out but I am experiencing a real issue now with video conferencing and packet loss is causing any connection to freeze be it in zoom, teams, whats app or mesenger chat conferencing.

I have sort out help from the community but no joy.

I am using a TP Link Archer A7 Version 5.0 Dual Banf=d Router connected to a ECI BT Open Reach Modem.  I don't have a PlusNet Router to try this but perhaps this could be a solution to the issue.

Would it be possible to be sent one?

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Good morning @dartilov

Thanks a lot for reaching out, while I'm glad to see that your speeds have now improved, I'm sorry to hear that you're having packet loss issues. As I'm sure you can understand, it's quite often pretty difficult to establish exactly where the packet loss is happening, and our network is not always the source of this particular issue.

Nonetheless, a change in your router is a good place to start, so I've just ordered a new Plusnet Hub One to be sent out to you, which should arrive in 3-5 working days. On this occasion, all associated fees have been waived.

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
dartilov
Grafter

Good morning

The Hub One is now up and running but the same issue persists with freezing of any video conferencing on all platforms.

It has to be an issue with the connection to the property from the cabinet via the pole that is causing the very high packet loss.

Can this be looked at again at the earliest possible opportunity?

Kind regards

Andy Heron
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi Andy,

I'm really sorry to see you're still having issues with your throughput and getting packet loss.

I'd like to arrange a broadband engineer from Openreach with you to investigate further.

Could you reply to the ticket I've re-opened on your account Here or the text we've sent with when you'd be free for a visit?

If you can post back once you've responded, I'll make sure we book the engineer as soon as we can.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
dartilov
Grafter

Have responded back to the text, thanks.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks Andy.

I've booked your engineer appointment and updated the ticket as well as text you with the appointment details.

We'll follow things up with you as soon as we can after the visit but feel free to let us know how it goes.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
dartilov
Grafter

Good evening

I can confirm that the BT engineer attended site today and carried out a thourough internal test of the system and carried some repairs and retested to a satisfactory conclusion.

However, despite all this happening the freezing of video conferencing sites such as Zoom, Teams, What's App and Facebook Messenger are sadly still in existence.

The engineer did not that the actual line from the closest telegraph pole does not directly connect to our property but first goes to next door before making a short length to our property,  The reason given was that the 2 closest poles seem to still be in excess of 68 metres from the house and therefore a shorter run to to next door was the solution and then on to us.  I also asked him that if nothing was found it the property to to be at fault (and he confirmed it wasn''t), could it be this line that could be impacting on our issue?  He said this could be a possibility but would need a seperate engineer to check as this was an external issue rather than internal.

I am saddened that my issue persists despite eveything seeming working fine but, with my wife currently doing an online Masters degree and also embarking on delivering online courses to fee paying students and me starting an online post graduate course  soon it is essential that we have a reliable service that we can be confident in.

I do hope that this can be sorted quickly and we can once again, enjoy the full service, that we are paying for.

Kind regards

Andy Heron

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi Andy, thanks for getting back to us. 

To follow on from the private message you've sent, I'm sorry to see you're still experiencing problems. I thought I'd post back as it'll allow other people from the community to chip in with advice if they're able to help you. 

With your laptop plugged straight into the router using an ethernet cable, were you having issues video calling on Zoom and WhatsApp or have you just tried that over WiFi?

Also if you go to your router's settings at 192.1.68.1.254 could you tell us what firmware version your router's running on?

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet