Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow speeds after installation

FIXED
olirushworth

Slow speeds after installation

Hi all,

I recently moved back to a flat I used to live in (around 4 years ago) and had plusnet re-installed. I believe I was with plusnet when I last lived here too. Since the install my download speed has been slow (<1mbs), but my upload speeds normal (9mbs).

Plusnet sent round an OpenReach engineer who installed a new master socket and told me I didn't need my DSL filter (so I got rid of it). After he left I connected everything up and the connection was fine. But the download speed has been slow from the start and ever since. 

I tested the speed on various different websites and they all gave similar numbers. I've included a report from the BT wholesale site below. All speeds were the same via ethernet and wireless.

Once I noticed the speeds were slow and after several reboots I decided to contact plusnet. They advised removing the master socket and just using a DSL filter. Unfortunately I binned the one that came with the router, so I didn't have one to hand, but I managed to find one later in the day and tested it and there was no difference.

I read a post similar to mine on the BT forums and it stated there it could be a router issue. If so - how do I go about urgently replacing my router? As the broadband is necessary for work. 

I made a post already so I apologise if this is a double post, but I couldn't see it on the board. If anyone needs any further info I'll do my best to get it. Thanks for all your help!

BT wholesale results:

Performance Test Results Report
Basic Performance Test -
Time Stamp Latency Download Upload
Wednesday 21 July 2021 | 0:11:37 144 Ms 0.81 Mbps 9.11 Mbps
Advanced Performance Test -
Download Test
Download speed achieved during the test was 0.81 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 20-38.67 Mbps
Your DSL Connection Rate: 0 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM),0 Mbps(UP-STREAM)
For your connection, the maximum achievable download speed is 38.67 Mbps
IP Profile for your line is 38.67 Mbps
Upload Test
Upload speed achieved during the test was 9.11 Mbps
For your connection, the maximum achievable upload speed is 10 Mbps
IP Profile for your line is 10 Mbps
Summary Advanced Performance Test -
Result Message
This test was not conclusive and further testing is required. This might be useful for your Broadband
Service Provider to investigate the fault. Note:An error occurred while trying to retrieve additional details
regarding your service. As a result we are unable to determine if the speed you received during the
upstream test is acceptable for you service. Please re-run the test if you require this additional
information. Please visit the Speed Test Guidance if you are unable to understand the test results.

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Two identical posts released from and duplicate removedSpam Filter.
Tags (1)
4 REPLIES 4
Mav
Fixes: 515

Re: Slow speeds after installation

Moderator's note(s):

Thread moved from ADSL Broadband to Fibre Broadband.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Fix

Thanks a lot for reaching out @olirushworth

I'm sorry to hear about the slow speeds that are on your line at the moment. I've run some tests on the line and have a few questions to ask though. the line appears to be okay, however the router has not been authenticated properly, and nothing whatsoever is coming up on my RRT test. Would you be able to authenticate your router please, then let me know once this has been done?

If you're using a Plusnet Hub One, please follow the steps below:

1. Make sure that your device is connected to the router, open up a web browser, and in the URL Field, enter 192.168.1.254, you should now be on your Plusnet Hub One Manager.

2. Navigate to Advanced Settings, you’ll now be asked to enter your admin password, this can be found on the router itself.

3. You should now see a sub-menu, select “Broadband”. Scroll down, and click “Disconnect”

4. You should now be able to edit your Broadband Username and Password. Your Broadband Username will be accountusername@plusdsl.net, and your Password will be the one that you use to log into your online Member Centre.

5. Click “connect”, you should now be good to go.

As I said, let me know once this has been done and I'll run some further tests.

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
olirushworth

Hi Adam,

Thanks so much for your advice and the steps in your post - this seems to have rectified it! Not sure how I missed the authentication step, but have tested the speeds now and seems to be performing as expected.

Thanks for the prompt response! Smiley

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Thanks for getting back to us @olirushworth

Glad to see that's worked! Let us know if there's anything else you'd need help with.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet